Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anemone, Yeah or Nay!!!

I'm starting to plan for the future of my tank and thinking about getting an anemone... Here is the question.

When I will introduce my anemone (in a month or two) will it stay where I introduce it or will it go around and find a spot it likes and kill whatever coral is in the way?

I heard pretty mix opinion about anemone and some horror stories... I know most of you will have some kind of experience with one.

Thanks,

Pat

anemones always move around until they find a place they like and then they settle in. They are a 24 hour introduction because a spot they pick during the day is often not where they will stay when the lights go out. It is also difficult to move them once they settle in and it is best to leave them be if they have. From my own experience it is best to add them before you add your corals because corals don't move around. If there is already coral in the tank keep an eye on things because an anemone will not as a rule set up shop right beside a coral but may need to pass by it search for its new location. thats when issues arise. In a nut shell You need to check in on them often until they are well settled and attached to their location of choice. Once they are settled they usually only move if they are not having their foot cleared of waist by tank current. If this is the case carefully clearing the waste ring from the foot will keep them happy and staying put.
    Rob

What about if later, let's say in a year, it wanna relocate? That's the 'horror stories' I heard. An anemone wasnt happy with it's spot and moved and did some pretty damage in the tank.

Ever heard of that or is it just me?

Depends on the anenome for movement. Carpet anenomes in a fine sand bed will get up to a rock and love to attach themselves under the sand. I;ve had tons of them and they don't move much. bubble tips and rose anenomes will move and rarely stay where you want them. I like them and especially with hosting clowns. The way they interact provides hours of viewing entertainment.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

That's what I would like an anemone for, hosting my clowns... But I heard that clowns also host frogspawn and they look nice.

From what I've been told clowns are just as likely to host a rock, a depression in the sand, a power head, a mushroom, or anything that remotely looks like it could kinda sorta be an anemone if you squint & only look with one eye ... in the dark.

But hey there's only been a pair in my tank for a little over a day now, so I'm far from an expert.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Kruger is right, but if given a choice clowns usually go for whatever is soft and frilly. If there is an anemonie in the tank that the clown host in in the wild they ALMOST always take it. You should research what clowns you want and what anemonie they host in because SOMETIMES clowns wont host in the anemonie if it isn't one that they would host in the wild. sometimes they will..
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Clowns don't need an anemone, they will host in pretty much anything. Frogspawn, Hammer, Torch are favorites but sometimes they'll chose something weird like a powerhead. And just because you get an anemone doesn't mean they will necessarily host in it either. Anemones do move if they aren't happy or if they feel another spot would be better and they do sting anything in their path. My problem with them wasn't the moving, it was that they split so often and made more and they grew so big and fast that they took up way too much tank real estate and stung corals that I wouldn't have thought were anywhere near the danger zone. Getting them out of the tank to bring to the fish store was very difficult. I got all but one small one which moved to the back of the tank. So now the entire back of my tank is huge with two or three bubble tip anemones which of course encroaches on the fishes sleeping areas.

If I had my time back I'd never have put an anemone in my tank.
    Susan

Krugar that's so funny :lol: My 2 clowns have done just that. They are happy with their powerhead even though there is a nice torch,xenia, mushrooms and stars to host in. Guess they must have been squinting in the dark! Jeeves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast