New here with a question

Hi everyone I'm new to reefing and have a simple question that may or may not have been asked already so bare with me...

I currently have a 44 gallon tank (36l x 16d x 18 h ) and will host 1 goby, 1 blenni, 2 percula clowns, purle dottyback and a flame angel with 40 pounds of live rock and live sand as well...

My question is do you think that the Regular Prizm skimmer will be enough for my system or should I buy a different hang on unit that is stronger.. The prizm right now is VERY cheap or am I getting what I'm paying for

Thanks for any possible advice in advance.

Welcome to the board. I'm sure Toutouche will have the official welcome banner up shortly.

I don't have much first hand experience with Prizms but I have never heard much positive. On the other hand, AquaC has a great reputation and they have a nice line of hang-on-tank skimmers

http://www.proteinskimmer.com/products/Remora.htm

Also Harley builds custom acrylic products out of his house in Gatineau. He builds hang-on skimmers as well and always has a fair price.

http://www.acryliccity.com/

It normally doesn't pay to skimp on skimmers. There is ia good chance you will end up buying the cheap one AND the expensive one eventually.

Having a real powerful skimmer can make the hobby much more enjoyable. Everybody makes mistakes, and most "mistakes" put nutrients in the water. A good skimmer can be like a good safety net.

Good luck,

Bill

I had a Prizm skimmer on a 20g with just two fish and it didn't do the job. I was constantly fiddling with the thing to get the foam right and even when it was as fine tuned as could be it didn't take out much.

I agree with Bvoss, the skimmer is one of the most important pieces of equipment for a tank. Get a good one.
    Susan

Not much to add to the above posts .. a good skimmer is worth every penny.
    Rob

Regardeless of which lower cost skimmer you get the tuning and adjustments are a regular thing which at the beggining will vary alot until your water stabilizes with the skimmer.
    Once that point is reached then it only remains a question of weekly or bi-monthly cleanings. The reason for this is as the water is cleaned it also faoms differently.
    The more expensive units are able to remove waste a little more efficiently and without as much fiddling.
    If you think you are going to go bigger then I suggest making an investment for the futur. AquaC Euro Reef and Tunze(new version). If you like the Aqua C there is a company that makes a good copy just follow this link http://www.acryliccity.com/
    PERMISSION : Somthing you need if you want to do it again, not required if you only want to do it once...

I agree with the_borg05 except to say that when I had my Prizm skimmer the adjusting never stopped. It had nothing to do with changing water quality, it was just a crappy skimmer.
    Susan

I also feel that the prizm isn't worth the money. it's crap!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Thank you so much for your valued input.. I think that I will return my prizm and go with the Aquac I've heard nothing but good things with them as well as long as you get the skimmer box attachment since I heard they are pretty loud at first.

Can't wait to get my tank up and running .