Converting to larger tank

Hi all,

I am soon going to be in the process of converting my 29g reef to a 65g FO w/LR until I can get another 40 - 50 lbs of LR. What's the best way to accomplish this? I am going to be setting up a DSB in the new tank which is 67g (48x18x18) and hopefully as well a sump/fuge. The LFS guy told me to fill the new tank half full with some LR and let it cycle. After it is done cycling, take all the water and inhabitants out of the 29g and place in new tank. I have about 30lbs of LR, 15lbs of base rock, a domino and blue damsel, an emerald crab, an anemone crab, a Cirlique Anemone, a Sebae and Percula clown, 3 different Zoos, and a finger leather. Any thoughts or concerns I should be aware of before I take the LFS advice?

Thanks!

Troy
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

Hi Troy,

That sounds like good advice to me. The only thing I'd add is to make sure that your water chemistry matches the new tank before moving critters over. Check pH and salinity for sure. Even when you get them to match I'd still just acclimate one damsel and leave him in the tank for a few days and see how it goes before just moving everything.

There have been quite a few people upgrading here lately. From the posts I've noticed that sometimes it goes without a hitch and other times there can be problems. Better to go slow and be safe than sorry.
    Susan

Thank you Susan,

It's nice to get advice from someone who obviously knows what she's doing, especially judging from your AWESOME website! I never know if the LFS people are giving good advice or just jibberish with the word "fish" thrown in once in a while!

Thanks again!

Troy
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

Thanks for the kind words, however, I've never done an upgrade so I'm hoping that others who have will post here as well. You're right not to just trust the LFS.
    Susan

Both Susan and he LFS guy have given good advise. I however would do it a little differently. If it were my tanks I would ... Cycle the new rock in you new larger tank as recommended. Add a few blue / green chromis to the new tank once the cycle is completed. Acclimate the 2 tanks to each other by moving water from the new one to the old one and back and forth. once this has been done add everything from the old setup to the new setup. I would also take this opportunity to get rid of the 2 damsels from the old setup as both are somewhat aggressive fish and getting them out of a larger tank will not be fun if issues arise.
    Rob

Geese!! I come along and can't find ONE thing to disagree with!! I agree with Rob- get rid of the damsels, they will become a problem, they always do!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Good points - I've never kept damsels myself but I hear they can get pretty mean when they get older.
    Susan

Thank you Reefmut and Salty Dog...Yeah I was figuring I'd need to do that. It's bitter sweet, I've had the Blue Damsel for 2 years now...Oh well, all semi-insane destructive things must come to an end! :P

Troy