Thread: Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton

i use DT s phyto just started do i have to shut down the skimmer for a while so they phyto goes everywhere.

Some do and some don't. I culture my own phyto so it's not so precious to me as if I had to pay for it and I don't bother to turn off the skimmer. I just feed lots of it. I think if I was using DTs I would though, that stuff is expensive.
    Susan

if your tank is on the new side you might want to spot feed with phyto, or you could end up with a nasty algea outbreak

I don't shut down the skimmer to dose with phyto. I currently use Marine Snow by Two Little Fishes, great product came highly recommended, now I know why. The directions on the bottle suggest doing a total shut down of all filtration. My method, buy a syringe and spot feed, pressure from the syringe will dispurse it thru the water. But thats just me

my tank is too big and it would not be practical to spot feed. It is 30" deep (38" including the canopy). I just put the food in (Golden Pearls, or ESV Phytoplankton) and let the currents take the food to all the corals. In the ocean they are not spot fed, but learn to pick it up from the current, so they are capable of doing so in a tank as well. I dont have a skimmer, so dont have to worry about it getting skimmed out before the corals get it. plus i'm sure they also enjoy the leftovers from my fish when i feed them.
    Albert
    My Photos

On the topic of Phytoplankton, I use DT's as well. It states that if there's a strong odor it is no longer good. The stuff has pretty much stunk since I got it, so I don't know what "overpowering" would be. How long does this stuff usually last? I'm currently putting 3/4 capful into the tank every other day. Sorry X-link, I didn't mean to steal your thunder.
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

Refrigerate after opening, I would assume that expiry would me marked on the label. Marine Snow has expiry marked on the label, recommended dosage is 1 capful per 20g