Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cyano

cyano

Ok, I've searched and read up on the threads on cyano. I've tried everything (except the conch) and I can't get rid of the cyano outbreak.

Tried:
    -siphon
    -increased water flow
    -RO water only for water changes
    -reduced feeding food by 1/2 for the last 1 week

It is happening in the same corner of the tank for the last 3-4 weeks.

Tank is over 1 year old, but I moved it 2 mths to the new location. I brought over all water except for 5G (total 55G).

For the first 6 weeks of the tank since the move there was no cyano anywhere in the tank. Nothing added to the tank.

Help! Any other ideas?

Thanks.

I tried syphoning too but it still coming back over and over. Have you tried red slime remover? It seem to work for some people but i have a friend that bought it 3 days ago, tried it and he still have that bacteria in his tank... does it already happen to any of you? i dont know how long it usually takes to get rid of it.
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Guys ... if your doing every thing your suppose to be doing and it looks like you on it .. you will just have to keep after it and wait until your tanks are balanced. By this I mean that nitrate in the tank is being used at the same rate it is being produced. You can buy treatments to kill it off but it will return if things are out of balance. What kind of nitrite and nitrate reading are you getting.
    Rob

I had a cyno outbreak In my tank. It started after a large colony of my zoo's died due to fungi. My tank was over a year old when the outbreak occured. I was battling it for about 2-3 months and now finally it's all gone. all I did was siphon it out on every water change. And yes the very next day it would be back agin. One day thought it just decided not to come back.

Just keep on it! It will take some time but it will eventually go away. Don't let that peskey red slime win!
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

kill the time on the lights(less hours) and water changes and wait.nature must take its course dont add chemicals.

and clean out your skimmer every week,take out the gunk that builds up on the neck.

I too used to be plagued with cyano. It covered entire rocks! What did it for me was the purchase of some hermit crabs. Flame Angel suggested some conchs a while back as well for eating cyano. The custodians will keep it at bay, and it will eventually disappear just like everyone's telling you, it just sucks in the meantime!

Troy
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

How many hours of light do I cut? I'm currently doing 11.

For the skimmer cleaning are you talking about the waste cup? The slime in the tube where the foam comes up or are you talking about the neck of the tube that hangs over the tank?

As well, are hermit crabs and conchs the only things that eat cyano?
    90 Gal - 48x18x24
    Coralife 2x250W 10K MH 2x96W True Actinic
    Coralife Super Skimmer (Needle Wheel) 220
    TOM PS4 Filter with Auto Top-off
    2 x Maxi-Jet 900 Power Heads

100 LBS Live Rock
    1 Six Line Wrasse
    1 Blue Chromis
    1 African Red Starfish
    8 Black Turbo Snails
    1 Red Hermit, 1 Halloween Hermit, 15 Blue Leg Hermits
    Aquasafe RO/DI 100GPH

I like OneSaltyDogs suggestion. I moved my tank in July and had an outbreak in the first week after the move. Diligent tank maintenance routine and time took care of it. BTW I also have eight bluelegged hermits that seemed to do a number on it.

I have a few hermits but they dont seem to change something. I am having a lot of cyano on my rock and it even start growing on my polyps... i am still syphoning it up but there is somes places on my rocks that i cannot get to it.
    maybe times will take it off but presently, its growing real fast if i dont suck it up.
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast