Coralline Growth

Howdy,

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions to enhance Coralline algae growth. It is growing on my rocks, but nothing like I know it can. Is it strictly additives and proper water chemistry? Generally how long does it take for a rock to get covered? I have two big base rocks underneath my live rock and they've never shown signs of any coralline.

Thanks for your input

Troy
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

it depends on how long you've had your tanks going. once the calcifacation process starts you should notice growth on the glass or powerheads first. it took about five months in my tank before it really took off. also it will not grow as well under metal halides. i wait till i have a good build up on the glass and scrape some off letting it spread to the rest of the tank. maybe try siphoning with a turkey baister while scraping if you want to get it to grow in a certain area.

I've had the tank for 2 years, with live rock for about 8 months. I've never had anything on the glass or powerheads. It has SLOWLY spread slightly on the LR. Currently I'm using NO FL lights in a 29G. Do I need more powerful lighting? I have also been dosing calcium for the last month due to the addition of some soft corals. Should I dose more?

Thanks for the input!
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

soft corrals don;t use much calcium at all. you should only dose if your levels drop too low. i try to stay above 350mg/L some keep it at 450 for sps and clams. if you have aragonite for a base your calcium levels should be fine. if you over dose like with just about anything else you are just feeding the algea. also note that it might take a couple days after you dose for your test readings to come up. i had a 29G when i started, and i swapped the entire hood for 220w pc. those lights are on one end of my 77G now and the corraline is growing like mad. i have a few sps and two clams and i still dont dose much

So lighting is the key I gather?

to a point. i have a 250w MH on the other side of my tank and there is significantly less corraline on that side

Thanks for this question reefmac, I too have a 29 gallon. Prior to my move in July to a new home I had the tank up and running for 14 months and saw very minimal growth of coraline algae but it was certainly doing well on the LR I had in there (30lbs). It did spread to the base rock I also had (15lbs) over that time but NEVER to glass or equipment like I've seem on so many other tanks. I dose kalk (topup), iodine, strontium/mobylium and magnesium. In July, as part of my move I upgraded to 250wMH + 40w of NO actinic + added a refugium and a Jaubert plenum in the main display. My dosing routine is unchanged. I now have coraline algae starting to grow on my powerheads and the overflow box after just two months So yes, I believe the lighting is important.

My question to add here is ..... will the coraline algea eventually overtake the patches of green algae I have or do I have to help it along by continuosly using a toothbrush on these annoying green patches?

Excellent question SloHand, I'd like to know that as well! BTW, what skimmer are you using on your 29? I'm going to get one og Harley's Remora clones for my 67, but need something smaller for the 29. The DIY's all seem so large . I know Garf recommends a Visi-Jet HOB, but it seems almost too cheap.

Unhappy

My skimmer? I'm embarrassed about that I'm still using an airlift 90. I do have an excalibur hand-me-down but it doesn't fit in my tight quarters. Mind you that airlift does work, I'm having to empty that little collection cup daily and the skimmate is a nice dark colour. Finances are tight but that is definitely my next purchace. I like the AquaC and it's reasonably priced.

Check out Harley's Website. He quoted me a VERY reasonable price for a Remora Clone and from what I hear they're top notch skimmers. I have another friend who is selliing his entire setup in Sept including a remora with a Mag, a 90g reef and a 65g reef. I don't have the 4g's he's asking tho