Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving

Moving

I know that this topic has probably been covered numerous times, but....

I have just received an offer in Halifax, am currently in Mississauga.

What is the best way to move 100g marine to the east coast?

Currently there is no aquarium set up in Halifax for me to take the fish with me, but I plan on doing that when I arrive on Tuesday. Is it in the best interest of the fish that I take them back to the LFS, and just start out new in HFX?

Chances are that I will probably have to make another trip to Mississauga to get things settled out here, with the shipping of the aquariums and all.

In the meantime I have aranged for some friends to come in and keep a check on things...how would you handle this?

Thanks

Rick

Hey if you do want to sell your livestock, let me know I could be interested. I'm in Brampton.
    90 Gal - 48x18x24
    Coralife 2x250W 10K MH 2x96W True Actinic
    Coralife Super Skimmer (Needle Wheel) 220
    TOM PS4 Filter with Auto Top-off
    2 x Maxi-Jet 900 Power Heads

100 LBS Live Rock
    1 Six Line Wrasse
    1 Blue Chromis
    1 African Red Starfish
    8 Black Turbo Snails
    1 Red Hermit, 1 Halloween Hermit, 15 Blue Leg Hermits
    Aquasafe RO/DI 100GPH

Hey thats great, thanks Kooma....will keep you posted...would prefer that these guys (my children) go to a good home where they will be loved just as much as I love them. Taking to the LFS scares me, cause you never know who or what will get them.

IMO if you can't move it all in 24 hours or less from take down to up and running ... including at least 50% of the water .... well... you might just as well start the tank from scratch again. You could I suppose ship the rock and salvage what you can but the tank will likely cycle again so the fish should go to good homes .. same for any corals you have. My own experience with moving tanks even with in the same city is that it only goes well if you treat the tank part of the move as a separate job before or after the general move is done. Even when this can be done it's risky at best.
    Rob

Cool

that kinda move, sell your livestock as you'll probally loose it if you try to move it. I've seen people loose everything just moving within the city [bad planning]

Thanks.....

Kooma I am leaving for HFX on the 31st, but am returning to Mississauga on Sept 11th. I will probably be here for 2 weeks before I make the final move back to HFX.

It looks like I am going to sell off the livestock in the tank. Sooner place them in good homes rather than take them back to the LFS.

Currently, I have

1 Yellow Tang
    2 Percula Clowns (mated)
    2 Tomato Clowns (mated)
    1 Coral Beauty
    1 Yellowtail Damsel with me since day one guess who cycled my tank
    1 Kaudran's Cardinal
    1 Blood Shrimp
    1 Feather Duster

all these guys are between 1.5yrs - 2yrs old

Corals:

Blushing Finger
    Star Polyp (3) multiplys like crazy
    Yellow Sponge
    Toadstool Leather (just turned white, he is awesome)
    Green Flourescent Mushroom

The 55g arrived at my moms place today in HFX, it will be up and running by the weekend. Do you think that the corals would make the transition easier? Or should I just part with all the livestock? It will be at least another 3 weeks before I make the permanent move there.

Thanks for everyone's insight...appreciate it

I moved my 150 gallons tank from montreal to fredericton nb no problem at all.

If you do bring you fish go to your local fish strore and get them to bag your fish with 30 hrs of oxygen.

Go at home depot and you can get sealed buckets to put some of your old water and sand and live rock.You will need alot but its worth selling for nothing and bying all new.

Get them to put the bagged fish in foam coolers.

Corals i dont know really but t i think your taking a chance.

Make sure your aquarium is not sitting directly on the floor or beside a wheel in the moving truck.Put it on matress or something similar.

MAke sure you have salt to mix your new water and dechlorinator or bottled water.

You can also ask you lfs if they could hold it for you until you move and if you go back to finish up some stuff over there you can ask them to bag them up with oxygen and and in a sealed cooler, and get them shipped by plane express to halifax and somebody can pick them up there.
    Derik...

dazed... let me know when you get back on the 13th... check your personal mail.. I'll send you my contact info.
    90 Gal - 48x18x24
    Coralife 2x250W 10K MH 2x96W True Actinic
    Coralife Super Skimmer (Needle Wheel) 220
    TOM PS4 Filter with Auto Top-off
    2 x Maxi-Jet 900 Power Heads

100 LBS Live Rock
    1 Six Line Wrasse
    1 Blue Chromis
    1 African Red Starfish
    8 Black Turbo Snails
    1 Red Hermit, 1 Halloween Hermit, 15 Blue Leg Hermits
    Aquasafe RO/DI 100GPH

Their is no problem if you do a couple extra things.
    1 Heating will be important
    2 water circulation is needed (use a 12v to 110v adapter in the car)
    3 put the fish in a dark coulerd (preferable black) container this will keep the stress down.
    4 when introducincing the fish to it in the evening with no tank lights

This should put the odds in your favor.

5 and last do not touch anything in the tank for 24 hrs after, this reduces the chance that you stress the fish.
    PERMISSION : Somthing you need if you want to do it again, not required if you only want to do it once...

You dont need water circulation if you get them bagged with oxygen wich is the way to go.This time of year you wont have problems with heating
    Derik...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast