Fluval as power head...sort of

Hey all,

I'm wondering if it's possible to Use a Fulval cannister filter as a big power head of sorts. I have a 304 and it has a pretty good flow (not sure gph) and I want to get rid of it as filtration but it was $100. Of course in this hobby $100 ain't a whole lot but it's still $100! I was thinking of removing all baffles and media and using the filter just for flow and connecting a SCWD up to it. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Troy
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

Why not add live rock rubble and / or crushed coral to the media baskets and save space in case you want to run carbon?

The bacteria you want here doesn't need light.

As I understand it the problem with canisters is the bio balls are too effective at changing Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate and your Nitrates go through the roof.

I may be off here but it seems to me if you used live rock instead you'd still be able to use the canister & would be adding to the natural filter.

Haven't tried it though.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Many people use fluvals as powerheads, or just as carbon filtration. I have before, they are great to run carbon in !
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

Don't put anything in it unless it is temporary or it will just start acting like a canister filter again. Yes you can use it just for circulation. keep the built in baskets in place so water is routed through it the way it was meant to go of the water at the bottom of the unit may just sit there doing nothing and not being flushed out very often if at all.
    Rob

Thank you all for the replies. I'll be dumping it out soon with confidence!

Troy
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

Just a question for my eductation:

If you add live rock rubble / crushed coral why does it start having problems again? I thought the problem was the bio balls etc host too much bacteria & not all the right types. Why don't fuges have the same issue?

Cheers!

canister filters that have high flow rates do a real good job of breaking down ammonia and they therefore create nitrite and then nitrate. they produce it so fast that your tank can not keep up so you end up with a nitrate issue = not good for corals but very good for unwanted algae
    Rob

So then if I understand you correctly bio balls wouldn't be an issue if the flow rate wasn't so high. Is that correct?

Cheers!

Bio balls actually make most filters work even better at creating nitrate so that's also a no no on a reef tank.
    Rob