Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Please

Opinions Please

Hi all!

I have been eyeing a bubble tip anemone at the LFS for the last couple of weeks. When it first arrived he was quite plump and displayed well. Over the last two weeks it has gone into decline. In passing, I mentioned to the LFS owner that the BTA needed a better home (only one NO florecent strip over the tank at the LFS and no spot feeding) as it has been in obvious decline. He offered to let me have for one third it's posted price!

Question: Should I stay clear of this offer or do you think it could make a recovery in my tank? My parameters are;

Amonia = 0
    Nitrites = 0
    Nitrates = <5
    Temp = 79
    Salinity = 1.024
    Phosphates = 0
    Copper = 0

250 watt MH
    2 NO Actinic (40 watts total)
    Jaubert Plenum
    Refugium

.... can't think of anything that might be important but please ask if you think it's important.

Thanks

I believe if its foot is not damaged it definitely can come back.

I have one rose and one green BTA. When I got the green BTA, it was good. Then it wandered around the tank and finally stayed at a place with minimun light and hard to feed. Then I tried to move it to some other place, it wandered again. It started to decline and shrink and become transparent.

Then I have that idea:

I changed the water, right away I moved it to a bright light place where I can feed it easily. Then I fed it immediately. That might trick it that it is the good place to stay! That night it didn't move again and has never moved away from that spot for 4 months now.

Then for the full next month I would feed it DAILY. Now it has recovered and grown at least 3 times bigger with green color.

By the way, your tank's parameters are similar as mine. You have MH and I only have PC.

Cool! Thanks apoon. Are there other tell-tale signs that I can look for to determine the overall health of this specimen? I could see a little of the 'foot' and it's rosy/pink in color.

When I look at the foot of my two BTA, they are very nice and have no sign of any damage/scraps etc. Rosy/pink is good for the rose.

I don't know other place to look for. But as I said even if it's not healthy but with a good foot it will recover. That's why you would get it in 1/3 of the price. It is definitely not healthy.

Slohand,

One option is talk to Christoffe (if it's Pet paradise you are referring to). He seems to be by far the most helpful and knowledgable. He told me he could order anything in you'de like so if you want a better specimine I'm sure he could help you out.

Troy
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

Your right about Christoffe but the big draw here for me was the offer of drop in price. PP have by far the best selection in town but BOY they often price things way out of wack. Maybe I should just save my hard earned pennies, fill up the van with reefers from Kingston and go up and visit

(sorry .... the boss walked by and I didn't want to get caught ) .... and visit Ivan in Ottawa!

The only decent information I have found on ways to tell if a anomone is heathy is to be sure that "Never purchase an anemone with a distended mouth, as this is a sign of poor health." Other than that, colour can be all over the map, whether the tenticles are extended or contracted, foot condition .... nothing really specific other than the 'distended mouth' which this specimen does not have ... I'm going to go and have one more close look.

lol, Gotta love surfing @ work! Sounds like a good idea for the road trip! Maybe us Kingstonians can crash the next MASO party!:beer:

All us Kingstonians - :happy2:
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast