metal halide question

If I have a retro fit (DIY) 250 watt metal halide bulb and ballast how far above the water should the bulb be? As for a fan I can put whatever in as I will be building the canopy myself.. i would just like to be as close to the water as possible without damaging anything. tank is 36l x 16d x 18 h

you answered your own question. Put the bulb as close to the surface as is possible without it getting splashes Mine are about 3 inches off the surface
    Rob

Thanks O.SD

I have the ability to purchase 2 units on seperate ballasts for really cheap with bulbs and all.. Do you think that housing both of these in a canopy about 5 inches from the water in a 36" length tank is too much? (250 watts each) I was also thinking of putting in 3 small 12 inch attinics in between them along with 2 moon lights what do you and anyone else think? Too much?

Its a lot of light for that length so care and planing will be needed with coral placement. How deep is the tank? 14 16 inches? if so a little more height off the waters surface may be a good idea. Would give GOOD light and less heat
    Rob

My tank is 36 inches long 16 inches deep and 18 inches high (44 gal) . I can either do my set up with 1 250 watt metal halide and use 2 - 12 inch attinics or do the same set up with 2 metal halides (250 watt). I will probably have the bulbs either way from 4 inches to 6 inches above the water.

With either set up which size fan do you think I should go with to reduce heat.

Heat will be an issue given the size of tank and amount of light you have. there is no rule of thumb that I am aware of for the air exchange rate the fan / fans should have for any given set up. I will be running at least 3 x 250 watt MH over my up set up and I intend to start with 2 computer case fans blowing in outside air... meaning outside the canopy not outside the house. for each person it will depend on how the final setup is arranged. Will this be an open or closed canopy? How warm or cool is the room already? do yo have A/C. How long with the light cycle be? As you can see no to setups are the same so you will have to play around with it until you get what you want.... AND after all .. . that's 1/2 the fun :-)
    Rob

Cool

that is alot of lamp for a 44g!! I take it theres no center brace?
    A single 250w with actinics would work but some reefers like LOTS of light. 8inches off the water is the average but you can put the lamps on a board or chains and adjust when needed.

I think I will go with 1 250 wat in the middle and make a reflector out of hammertone and place 1 96watt pc on each side of the metal halide running all 36" accross and rig up 2 small moon lights in the middle... I thougt 2 would be too much. I think I will also run a 4" fan and place it 6 inches above water since I cant go any higher than that since my space is limited where I want my tank to be and a pendant is out of the question