Thread: Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Got some more LR rock yesterday..yay! and was looking at it last night for signs of new life. I found some sort of tubeworm or featherduster that is different from anything I have seen so far. Unfortunately, it is too small for me to take a picture so all I can offer is a description. The best way I can do that is to say it looks like a snowflake when it comes out. Its feathers or whatever are in a circluar pattern with patterned white colour on them. If I were to shine the light on it, it will disappear with lightning speed and then reappear extremely slowly. I realize this is fairly vague and without a picture nearly impossible to identify. I have searched the net but haven't found anything like it. Anyone have any guesses as to what this is?

Thanks in advance!

Actually I thought that was a pretty good description of a Featherduster Worm (Sabellastarte sanctijosephi)
    . I have several as well. BTW, I see you've made Sae Squirt! :
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

Hi Zena, I thought it was a pretty good description too. Have a look here for some pic's and description of things that you might be seeing over the next little while.

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/mai.../faq_rock1.htm

Is your life form described here?

Lawrence

I know! I was gonna say something but I figured everyone was sick of hearing me complain about bristleworms! lmao
    But oh well, yahoo, I love the squirt! :happy2:

Thanks for letting me know it was a feather duster. My only confusion now is that obviously there are many different types of featherdusters, right? Do they have different names for their type or are they all classed as featherduster? or as you said, "Sabellastarte sanctijosephi". Thanks again!

Hi SloHand,

Thanks for the link. I actually already had that site bookmarked and refer to it quite often. Unfortunately however, none of the pics quite match what this looks like!

"I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

The only thing I have found that I can compare it to is the first tier on the white christmas tree worm found on this site http://www.coralreefnetwork.com/sten...orms/worms.htm
    It's the 2nd pic down on the left under the title Spirobranchus giganteus. I am a little sketchy about that though because I don't know anything about these worms and whether they grow on LR, etc. But looking at that first tier reminds me of what this is.

BTW, I do have three or four Sabellastarte sanctijosephi and they are doing quite nicely. This is why I question this one because it really doesn't look anything like those. I seems to be much more stiff and doesn't blow around in the current like the others. And the colour is completely different. I figure I'll have to wait for it to grow so that I can take a pic of it and post it here!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Perhaps IJO, or some of the other seasoned folks have a clue. I only have the ones I mentioned above :dork:

Right on, man! Thanks for the help! :O)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!