Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Drilling and Plumbing

Hi there,

I know I've asked a few questions about this so bear with me. I'm planning on having my 67g tank drilled to tomorrow and need to know where to place the holes. Also how big should the holse be? Can I install an overflow/surface skimmer at a later date or does the tank need to be empty for this as well? Are bulkheads something that can be purchased at a hardware store like HD, or is this an aquario specialty item? Can the bulkheads be closed off for a later installation of the sump?

I know this is a ot of questions, but I've searched the web and cannot find anything with regards to plumbing that makes it clear. I understand the setup, the baffles, the refugium, etc. The setup between the two is where I'm lost.

Thanks for all your help!

Troy
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    ReefMac,

Make sure that you have the bulkhead(s) that you intend on using before drilling the tank. Different bulkheads have different diameter requirements for the holes.

That said, you can get a nice 1.5" bulkhead at most pool stores for relatively cheap. If not, I think AC stocks some as well.

For a 65gallon tank, I would suggest nothing smaller than a 1" bulkhead for the overflow. 1.5" if you can swing it. The actual hole drilled is a little larger in order to accomodate the actual bulkhead.

The overflow will have to be installed/siliconed in place before you fill the tank with water as silicone requires a minimum of 24hours to properly dry.

Hope that helps.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Ok, thank you Tang_man, now where do I have the holes drilled. I know two is recommended, and it shouldn't be too low in the tank. The tank is 18" high so 15" up from the bottom? Tank is 48" long, right in the corners or inset a bit?

Thank you for the tip on the pool store, I'll give them a call now!
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

Tang_man, is a "pool jet" the same as a bulk head. The pool guy described it over the phone and it sounded the same.

Thanks!

If I understand, you're planning on drilling the back pane of your tank. On a 65gallon tank, I personally think that one overflow is enough. You'd probably want it more like 13" from the bottom, and maybe 3-4" from the side. However that is my opinion only, and without seeing the tank itself not really more than an uneducated guess.

Nope, a Pooljet is not the same. It's siimilar, but a pooljet has a directional nozzle that allows you to direct water where a bulkhead does not.

Ok, now I think I've found a good source for bulkheads. One thing ehy said is the directional jet can be removed leaving a 1.25" hole for flow. Now the overflow..Is it easier to make my own? you say only one overflow, where is this placed and what are the dimensions. I understand it needs "teeth" cut into it for skimming, but that's all I really know other than it's an acrylic box

I'd still look for an actual bulkhead, just because 1.25" plumbing hardware (fittings, pipe, etc) is harder to find than 1.5".

Since you're drilling the tank and probably making your own overflow box, your options are open. A corner overflow would be fine, while one placed in the middle of the tank might function better although be more of an eyesore. I'd probably stick with a corner unit. Check with Harley here at AC. He can make you a nice, slotted overflow box to your specs that you can simply silicone in place.

Harley makes some for 20$
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

I just had my tank drilled and an overflow insalled here's some pics
    Adam

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast