Thread: drain question

drain question

I was wondering about my drain. Since my tank will be on the 1rst floor and the sump will be in the basement, I will have huge water flow from the tank to the sump. What happens when the water drains to fast and the pump doesn't match it? Do you get a flood in your sump? and vice-versa: When the pump pumps faster than the drain? do you get a flood in the tank?
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

No. The length of your drain will only affect the speed the water will gain as it falls to the basement.

Assuming you use an overflow box, the water level in the tank will only drain to the top of the overflow box (this should be at or near the normal water level).

If the pump is turned off (or falls behind) the water level will drop to the top of the overflow box. You should also be careful not to set up a situation where your sump return line can syphon the water out of your tank in the event of a pump failure or power outage. A syphon break hole (just a hole of sufficient size near or above the water line on the return line) and a back flow check valve will help prevent this.

If your pump is faster than your drain you could get a flood equivalent to your sump volume, BUT in that case you haven't put enough drain capacity on the system, it should ALWAYS be capable of much more flow than your pump.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Originally posted by cres
    A syphon break hole (just a hole of sufficient size near or above the water line on the return line) and a back flow check valve will help prevent this.
    If I put a hole in the return line, won't the water splash out of this hole when I turn the pump on? Where do you find a back flow check valve?

Thanks for your help.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Conan.

Ivan will be stocking 1.5" clear flap-type checkvalves with unions very soon. He's got several on order, I know, I ordered one.

The anti-siphon hole in the return line is placed just below the water's surface. A tiny amount of water will come out this hole when water is flowing. Try to drill the hole so it points at a downward angle.

The basic idea of the anti-siphon hole is this. When the pump stops, water will back flow through the line. The water level will drop until it reaches the anti-siphon hole. Air will get into the pipe breaking the siphon.

With a checkvalve in place, the water level won't go down unless the checkvalve's flap is stuck (in which case, it's always smart to have the anti-siphon hole to break the siphon).

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

so... everyone has this hole on there return pipe spraying downwards??? Anyone have pics of this?
    I've never heard of this check valve.... and the flap can actually get stuck? So why buy it in the first place and not just have the anti-siphon hole and be done with it?
    Thanks Tang Man, although I'll have plenty of questions when I actually start the work!!!

Conan,

This is a clear checkvalve

However the one in the picture doesn't have unions for easy removal. They should be removed periodically (once a year?) to clean and remove any gunk or calcium buildup that may impede the flap from working or closing properly. These are otherwise a great investment in my opinion. When water flows, it pushes the flap upwards, allowing water to pass. As soon as water stops, the backpressure closes the flap, stopping the water instantly.

The anti-siphon hole in this case would just be a backup measure IN CASE the checkvalve failed. The hole isn't that big either. We're talking about ~ 1/8". Not more.

...and yes, I have an anti-siphon hole on my returns. It's not necessary on a closed loop.

I don't know about the syphon hole.... it'll be spraying in the back of my tank and my sump is in the basement. I don't know how I'll organize that. Maybe the valve is good enough and I'll just clean it often!

of course, if I have my rats close to the surface, the water wont drain past it and maybe I can acomodate my sump to take that excess water....?

Like I mentioned, the amount of water sprayed is minimal. Water will take the path of least resistance.

LIke you said though, you could always make sure that your sump can accomodate the amount of water.