Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tank Cycling

Nbreau,
    Are you able to get any syringes with a needle on? What I find really good is to stick the bubbles and suck out all the liquid, then once the skin is deflated like a youknowwhat..., it is much easier to pull off afterwards. As for getting the syringe, if you have any friends that are nurses or work in a hospital, once you explain what you want them for, they will most obviously give you a " That's so far fetched..., it MUST be true look" and usually they'll give you a couple needles. Make sure they know you're not an addict :angel: :

Well finally got the remainder of my test kits:

Ammonia:0
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate: ~2.5 or lower

so am I all ready to rock in roll ?

If I have read everything correctly, you have a 77 gallon. Just because your readings look good, slow and steady is the rule. Since you have the algae blooms, I'd start first with a cleanup crew.

Now, you can read a lot of controversy over what is the best, but most agree that snails are a good place to start. I'd put in 5 Turbos (for the rocks) and 5 Astrea (for the glass), wait 10 days, and add another 5 of each. I'm a big fan of hermit crabs (blue legs and left-handed), and although others are not high on them because you have to keep them supplied with replacement shells else they will kill snails for their shells, they make great scavengers and algae eaters....fun to watch too. I'd put in 5 of these with each batch of snails as well (if you do add the crabs, make sure you feed the tank a little bit as it will help get the live rock going, and give the crabs something to pick at). Finally, over the next month, try and bring your total of the types up to roughly 1/gallon (I'd go at least for 50 for your tank).

As for the fish, I looked at your other thread, and I'd add the Clowns first (probably in mid September if all goes well) as they are not aggressive, and fairly hardy (generally you want to wait at least 10 days each time you add a new thing so that the rock can adjust to the bio-load).

As for corals, I'd first give alot of thought about the types you want to put in. Many corals that are considered "hardy" or "beginner", can also be quite invasive (ie: mushrooms, zooanthids, xenia etc.), so if you are planning on alot of SPS, you might try and think things through first. Either way, add the hardy corals first, one at a time, somewhere around Oct., if all goes well.

Some other things that fall under the "clean up crew" label, that I really like are:

Bristly black brittle star: I've had two in the past three years and are great, scavengers and help with the detritus (I would add one of these for your tank size)

Emerald Crab: supposed to eat bubble algae. I've never seen one actually eat it, but they are always picking at the rocks (I suspect they only eat the spors and/or small bubbles I can't see). Either way I always seem to have more bubble algae when I let the Emerald crab population get low ( I'd add three of these to your tank size).

Tiger-tail Cucmber: There are claims that these guys can foul your tank if they die, and claims that people have had them die in their tanks with no consequences. I like them. I've yet to find an animal that keeps a sand bed cleaner (I'd go for at least one for your tank in the beginning, add another one next year if the sand bed isn't spotless, but no more than 2).

Shrimp: Cleaner, Blood, Pepermint, all are scavengers, fun to watch (they will eventually crawl up your hand).

I'm sure others will have advise for you too, but remember, there are many ways to go about this. What is important though, is that you take your time and go slow when adding new stuff.

I also seem to remember that you are from Fredrickton (sp?). Have you managed to find any other people who keep saltwater tanks?

I<m in nb but in Moncton hehe

I had a question, I started my tank on the 20th aug, and then I added live rocks 3 days after that they were strait from an already established tank and they are doing fine, my level of nitrate, nitrit and amonia are good, but I<m starting to get brown algea on my sand ans hair algea on my rock and I have 1 buble algea,

when could I trie to add 2-3 hermit crabs in to start the cleaup. I plan on adding blank rock on the botom and then addin a few more live ones on top of the non live ones

right now my sand is trating to be alive, alive with algea pffff
    25g Reef

Sunray,
    The different nuisance blooms are all normal for the tank as it's establishing itself. It will get ugly before it gets nice Let the cycles happen.
    If that 1 bubble algae is recheable and you can gently rock it till it comes loose, then take it out now, but if you see it's REALLY stuck on and won't come off, then don't keep trying. What you DON'T want to do is bust it. Inside are all the spores and by busting it, you will be releasing it to develop more. As I mentioned, can you not get hold of a syringe? These are excellant for removing the bubbles. You stab it then suck out all it's innards..:evillaugh . Once this is done, the skin has usually sunken in and is easier to pull off of whatever it's attached to.

Brislteworm,
    Have you ever tried the all black Holothria ( ?? I think that's how it's spelled, not sure though) mopping cukes? I'm asking because I'm trying to gather info from people about which they like better and are more efficient at cleaning the sand... the Tigers or the Black ones. I have 2 of the black ones, and while they clean I'm still dissapointed in them.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Greg,

As you already know, I also had a black cuke like yours. However mine was MUCH larger than yours. I found that mine was VERY effective at cleaning the sand.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Yeeesssss!!! But "MORE" effective than the Tigertail??!!!!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Personaly, I'd say yes because the black ones were always out. Night and Day. Whereas the Tigertail was a more reclusive and nocturnal scavenger.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12