Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank Cycling

Tank Cycling

Hi All,

I know you've all been anxiously expecting my next questions so here it is

I setup my tank on sunday (3 days ago) and have just tested the Nitrite and it gave me a reading of 0. Is it possible that since my live rock went from a well established tank into my rubbermaid tubs for 3 weeks and then into my tank on sunday that the cycle would already possibly be complete ? I am anxiously awaiting my ammonia and nitrate kits so I can verify these as well.

thanks,
    Nick.

nbreau,

If you have established/cured live rock, you may never see a real cycle at all. But on the safe side, you should wait until your test kits arrive and at least continue testing for a week to make sure there is no traces of ammonia.

kickass

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    ditto what GoSUV said...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Hi All,

Nitrite is still reading 0 however i noticed that my rock is all starting to turn a brownish color... would this be a sign that the cycle is starting to progress ? I used 100% ro/di water when i set the tank up on sunday.

Nick.

Hi Nick,

The brown is probably diatoms or cyano that is starting to appear. This is normal.

While your tank may not go through a real cycle, it will still go through a few mini cycles. This can happen when you've properly cured your rock in a seperte container firsthand before placing in the tank. Did you actively cure the rock properly before, or was it in the seperate bins just to hold them while you got the tank ready?
    I wouldn't jump the gun and start adding things just yet. You still have the "ever so important" algae blooms to go through and this can wreak havoc on things added if done too soon.

The rocks were stored in 2 rubbermaids with circulating salt water and had VHO lighting for about 1 of the 3 weeks they were in these containers.

The algae bloom has begone, alot of the rock has brown algae as well as green algae starting to appear. When should i be able to start adding algae eaters ? Nitrite still reads 0 but my other test kits are still in the mail.

Also, I noticed a small rock was growing bubble algae so i quickly removed it and cut most of it off with a knife.

nbreau, regarding that bubble algae, you may wanna take that rock out, and scrub the afflicted area REAL WELL, then rinse it off in some new saltwater before putting it back in the tank.

ok.. i took it out last night cut some off and soaked it in some water but i may to that again tonight since i did miss a few spots. it's on a real tough rock to get it off since the bubbles are in alot of crevaces and stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast