Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC vs MH?

PC vs MH?

What kind of lighting does everybody recommend and why? I'm kinda leaning toward PC for the moment but I'm just wondering what does MH have over them.
    Adam

MH has higher intensity, more natural look and fuller spectrum options. IMO MH is the way to go as basic setup. You can tweak your lighting from there by adding other types of bulbs.
    Rob

I agree with Salty, however MH produces WAY more heat than pc and on smaller tanks pc is more than adequate for providing enough light to a tank.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I don't think you can really compare them head to head, it really depends on what you want to keep. My softy tank fluorishes under 2x65W PC's and 2x20W NO's and my SPS tank is doing great under2x175W MH's
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

What about LPS, what kind of lighting would do best for them?
    Adam

MH is great....nice color and you can keep just about anything you desire. PC are generally more compact, less heat, however with a less intensity of light you are restriced to what will florish in your tank. i have PC on my 35g. 2x96w bulbs, one 10,000k and one atinic. my corals are doing great, i have very little trouble with heat issues, however like i said, there are lots of corals that i would like, that i can put in there due to low intensity light.

first off, look at what you can afford, and what you want to keep, and how much space you have for lights, then the decision is generally easy.

For LPS I'd recommend a VHO setup. Metal Halide can be too strong for some LPS and you can get really nice colours from your LPS corals with VHO. I'd go with some actinic and some 50/50 (bluish white) to make the most of the fluorescense. Perhaps an Aquasun to bring out the pinks, orange and reds.
    Susan

Lps did really well under my MH with the exception of bubble coral, hammer, frogspawn, torch, candycane and donut all did extremely well
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

I had to give away an open brain because I had too much light for it. It started to bleach. My friend put it in her tank under VHO and it thrived.

fishmonger - are you saying that list of corals did or did not do well under mh?
    Susan

Flame, I think he meant that only the bubble didn't do well. I think it is rare that an lps cannot adapt to mh, but it definetly does happen sometimes. LPS certainly do not NEED mh and will thrive under vho. I would have to say that vho is IMO best for lps, but one could go either way...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast