Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie Alert (Run for cover)

Only kidding. I have been lurking for a couple of months now and felt it was time to introduce myself. Having a fresh water tank for my daughter, I started to look at marine tanks.

In early July, I set out to convince my wife a marine tank would be really cool. However, I did not realize the full cost of setting one up. The initial costs included a new hardwood floor, refinished walls, and new furniture for the living room. After this thorough convincing, she thought a marine tank might be kind of nice.

I picked up a 90 gallon. Since then, I have added the main equipment. I now have a 30 gallon long sump/refuge (made using a 30 gal glass, added my own baffles), dual 250 mh, dual 110 vho actinics, mag 9.5, RO/DI, skimmer, etc.

I built my own stand for it. (I am fortunate because I have a full woodworking shop) I used 2 * 4 for the structure and skinned it with mdf, finished on the inside with spar varnish and on the outside with a sand finish paint (still to be completed).

It has taken two months to get to the point where I am ready for the live rock. I ordered 100 pounds from Ivan and it should be delivered next week. (I saw a picture of the rock Flame Angel got and cant wait to see mine)

I intend to use the tank for corals, zoos, etc.

I know that slow and steady is the best way to proceed. I learned a little patience while gardening. Most of my plants, including perenniels have been grown from seed. (Often have to wait two years for the flowers). I just hope that this patience carries through with the reef tank.

My next step is to cure the live rock after I receive it. I have been doing research and have found a couple sites that provide advice. I also know that the advice here is good, so you will no doubt hear from me again.

first off, welcome to the site!!!

I'm shure you'll find it very usefull here as you already have!!
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

welcome aboard.....why dont you just buy cured rock and save yourself alot of hassle.

I decided to go with uncured for 2 reasons. First, it is cheaper than cured. Second, I like the challenges involved with curing my own. I guess it is in my nature. For example, in gardening , I could go and buy the plants, but rather I choose to buy the seed. It allows me the opportunity to see all the changes and challenges that go with trying from scratch.
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

of course, for rock (it's to late know) you could of bought base rock and less LR, and with time the base rock would of became LR.
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

Conan, I never thought of that. Next time, I think I will use the base plus lr. I would like to see the evolution of the base to live.
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

reefmania - sounds like you're off to a great start. Talk to Ivan (IJO) here at Aquaria Canada about rock. I just bought some uncured Fiji from him for a large tank I'm setting up. It came in very fresh and I'm quite pleased with it. No nasty smell and a great price too.
    Susan

Thanks Flame. I ordered the rock from Ivan earlier this week. Should arrive Monday. I looked at your new tank pictures and really liked what I saw. I cant wait to see the rock

Hi,

I'm also starting with a 77G and I purchased 50lbs Base rock from Ivan and will get about 50 or 75 lbs LR...

Sounds like a great challenge

I was planning mixing the Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga, Marshall or others...)

Anyone think it will cause any problem?

Where can I find links for uncured?...(my budget starts to get lower now...so maybe i'll go for those instead)

I go my tank since about 3 weeks and I'm still working on my light system...(completed the moonlight tonight and actinic vho....need to add the expensive MH now)...

Hi LadyP,

Shouldn't cause any problems at all...actually you can increase your biodiversity when mixing rocks from different regions...I have Tonga and Vanuatu mixed in my tank.

Here's some sites on curing, not hard at all, but sometimes can get a little stinky:

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/live-rock-sand.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/ar...id=388&aid=851

http://www.themarinecenter.com/rockbs.htm
    Keep passing the open windows!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast