Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bioload?

Bioload?

Just want to ask what type of bioload I have; low, medium or high. I'd like to add some more corals but am unsure if it would be safe. Its a 29g, 33 pounds clr, 4inch bed, NO lights and skimmer less.

2 1 inch damsel fish
    4 hermit crabs
    1 scarlet red crab
    2 emerald crabs
    1 blood shrimp
    1 small candy cane
    1 small sun polyp
    1 feather duster

Ive been testing every 2 days for the last 2 months and nitrate never gets above 5ppm. Would there be room for maybe 3-4 more corals?

Thanks
    James

I'd call that a low bioload. You could probably add another couple small fish to that tank but the challenge will be getting ones that the damsels won't beat up on.

More corals shouldn't be a problem as long as they have space between them to grow.
    Susan

Thank you Flame.
    I dont think we will be adding more fish because these ones have staked out their turfs already but adding more corals is what I wanted to know. I know Im limited because of light but they are so nice to look at.

Too many corals isn't a problem. Except:

- if they grow too close together some can sting each other
    - others have a toxic slime that mixed can cause a chemical warfare
    - some have incredibly long stinging streamers that only come out at night but can sting other corals like 6" away

Best thing is to post what corals you're considering and what you have and we can help you decide if it would work or not.
    Susan

Hrmmm lets see,

Brain
    Hammer
    Pearl Bubble
    Xenia
    Derasa or squamosa clam

Not saying that I will add all these to the system but knowing what I could have would be nice.

Thanks again

James

I agree with Flame .. That's a pretty light load that you currently have. Do keep in mind that tank gallonage is not the only consideration when looking at carrying capacity. Filter type, size and efficiency along with maintenance schedule, types of stock under consideration and to a lesser degree tank dimensions all play a roll. A really dirty poorly planed 50 gallon setup could easily have a much smaller carrying capacity then a pristine well planned and maintained 30 gallon setup.
    Rob

I don't see any problem with any of the corals you've listed. The pearl bubble can be a stinger so don't have anything too close to it, they can grow pretty quickly too. Hammer too actually. You could easily keep all of those corals in your tank if they are spaced out well.
    Susan

Thanks again Flame. Hopefully one day I can have a proper setup and not worry about adding too much to it.

Those damsels will have to go I had to rid myself of mine to increase my tank livestock. An old timer in the hobby once told me "if damsels were as big as sharks, sharks would be VERY VERY afraid!" :lol:

Yeah but he's not planning to add more fish. If damsels are the only fish in the tank they won't cause any problems.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast