Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air trouble

Air trouble

Hi all. I have never had to do this with my tank up but in CA its hot and I need to bomb my house cuz of ants and things.
    How long is it safe to turn off the air to my tank? I have a 50 gal.
    Hate to ask but better safe then sorry!
    Thanks for any input

First what kind of equipement do you have?
    Do you have skimmer..wich helps alot for your air...do you have any powerheads for movement.Is it a marine or freshwater?(doesnt matter but just currious.)If you have good water movement youll be fine.If you have a hang on filter you can lower the water level in you tank and let it trikle in the tank and that should be fine as well.OR if you have a canister,just raise the output over the water and let it splash.
    Derik...

I have a skimmer that hangs on the side and two power heads. I think I need to turn off the skimmer cuz the chemicals could still get in the water. So if I turn off the air and skimmer do you think the power heads will be enough?
    Thats all the equipement I really have cuz its only 50 gal and I only have 2 clowns and 2 shrimp.No corals or anything. Plus how long could I keep the air off?

you can place your powerheads just above the surface, or blowing at the surface and that will help oxygenate the water. you only have two clowns and two shrimp in 50 gal, so you should be fine (when they ship, they are in a tiny bag for hours). how long do you need to leave it off for. i would say you should probably be fine this way for at least half a day if not a whole day.
    during the blackout last august, i had nothing working in my tank and it was fully stocked, and nothing died (thank god).
    you should probably be fine. just make sure no chemicals get in the tank, cover it with something.
    Albert
    My Photos

To be honest with you ... if your goingtot be BOMBING the house with any sort of sprayed bug killer you should SEAL the top of the tank with plastic and punch a few small pencil sized holes into the cover. Then pump air into the tank under that cove from a safe source like from outside. The power heads at the surface is goon as long as they are not drawing air faster then your pump will delver it to under the cover. In a nut shell you want the tank to become a positive pressure area so only air and get out and none can get in.
    Rob

Cool

yep, I agree with OLD. If your spraybombing its usually pretty nasty or are you just having them spray with a canister in the cornersand seems of the house? theres a huge difference.

ijo
    :lol: "I agree with OLD" hehe.... I agree with Johnny... OSD is OLD

IJO

could you not have said OLD is OSD ???
    Rob

Talking oh my god!

sorry rob for the mispell! I meant OSD, forgive me.

Forgiven ... us OLD guys understand that mistakes happen
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast