Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Could I add.....

Hi Everyone,

This is DARK's girlfriend, I was wondering if I could add a Goby and or a Starfish in our 29g. We currently have 2 damsels (1 inch each).

Any suggestions on what type of Goby or Starfish would be suitable?

Thanks,

Mar

Most starfishes grow very large, but I have the Red Sea Star and Marble Sea Star. They are small and very beautiful. Also not expensive.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...8&TopCatId=528

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...0&TopCatId=528

Hi Mar,

I think that you could add another fish to that sized tank but the damsels would be a problem with a gentle goby. Damsels are a bit more agressive than, oh, a great white shark pound for pound. Seriously. Any other fish would have to be able to hold their own with the damsels. Perhaps a sixline wrasse?
    Susan

You could add a chocolate starfish they dont grow that big and stay small for a while
    Derik...

Orchid Dottyback should be okay as I have one and is still okay with a 1" yellow tail damsel in my 15g tank.

Ooh good idea - I second the dottyback. Very bright and colourful and with almost as nasty a reputation as a damsel. There are several different kinds, any would work well. I saw a magenta in a store here recently, it almost glowed it was so bright.
    Susan

Yes, as a matter of fact, my dottyback is chasing the damsel rather than the other way round. But I think when the damsel grows bigger, they will be even.

This arrangement will work so long as you are happy with Damsels. Adding other less aggressive fish in the future will be out of the question so decide now if a tank with Damsels will keep you happy. Damsels are great fish to start any tank off with but as interest and experience grows so dose the desire to keep other more interesting fish. When this time arrives it is my opinion that the Damsels should be removed. Replace them with some blue green Chromis which are also very hardy but not aggressive.
    Rob

DARK here,

Now that we have these damsels and if we wanted other kinds of fish what could we do with the damsels. We bought them at Big Al's and they dont take returns/tradeins on SW fish.

Damsels are a bit more agressive than, oh, a great white shark pound for pound.
    Yup!!! But I thought the Dotty won overall on the "craftiness" scale...

I have a magenta dotty back atm, if it wasn't a gift I'd never have purchased one, but I do find it beautiful to look at.

It has assumed it's territory and that happens to be all the LR.....

Can you trade the Damsels?

A Tomato Clown should fix any aggressive tendencies in the damsels, and anyone living within a 500km radius.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast