How much food is too much?

I'm not referring to the amount of food at each feeding, ie. the fishies should finish the food within 3-4 minutes to minimize the waste. But more on the frequency. Should it be once a day...twice a day....every second day...everyday but with a day break every 3-4 days?? I keep reading about how fishies don't eat every day in the wild so why do that in our tanks and that they'll find things to pick at when you don't feed it. Is it unhealthy to feed it once a day? Can you make a fish "obese"?

I realize that this might depend on what fish you have, but let's leave the picky eaters that need to eat all day long out of the question. For example, my 2 ocellaris are pigs. I'm sure they would eat 3+ times a day if I gave them that much. How much is too much?
    thanks.
    thien

well unlike goldfish which you can feed to death, these fish live in the ocean where their food supply may be at an abundance at times, yet they do not eat themselves to death (much the same way we do not eat ourselves to death). Naturally each fish is different, but i think it would be ok to feed them as often as they would eat. i would also guess that if they are fed on a regular schedule, the would know what to expect, while if they dont know when their next meal is coming, they may be more inclined to stock up and eat as much as they can stomach to hold them over till the next feeding.
    think of yourself - how often do you need to eat? could you survive eating every other day - sure, would you prefer to eat 3 meals a day - naturally, would you eat a full meal every hour - probably not. you might just spend all day having another bite of this or a bite of that. either way you will be pretty much eating the same amount (more or less) its just a matter or getting a little hungry in between or not.

DISCLAIMER: this is just my personal thoughts on this and is not intended to represent an expert or researched answer in any way.
    Albert
    My Photos

Not that I have all the experience in marine fishes that others do but I notice the behaviour of my fish. There are times when I look into the tank and they just as soon get the heck away but usually in the morning when I turn on the lights and when it's supper time, they will frantically swim at me waiting for me to drop them some food! My point being that observing their behaviour might give you clues as to what they need. After 12 yrs in FW water however, I find that twice a day is not overboard. It really is the amount you put in at one time.

Just my 2 cents worth...or 1 or maybe none at all....
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

My fish move to the feeding corner and go into feeding mode every time I approach the tank. I feed them every time I go Right up to the tank. This works well because they stay out when I am there.
    Rob

same here
    Albert
    My Photos

My fish have set meal times:

9:30am - breakfast
    2:00pm - lunch
    6:30pm - dinner
    7:30pm - brine shrimp for the tubastreas (lots extra for fish too)
    I sometimes give them flake snacks in between too.

I work at home so I can do this without any fuss. I just make up all the frozen stuff in dishes in the morning. My fish have learned to tell time very well. Especially Sascha, the big pink anthias. He demands his food if I'm late with a meal. There's no mistaking it.

It's important that your fish get enough to eat but I really think that frequency is more important than quantity. Many marine fish don't have the ability to store food energy for later. Especially the ones with the high metabolisms. If I didn't work at home I'd have auto feeders.
    Susan

So the "fish don't eat every day in the wild" argument is nonsense?
    thanks.
    thien

pretty much IMO because there is always something for them of nibble on. My fish seem to be eating from lights on to light off. they are alway pecking away at the algae and pocking around the rocks.
    Rob

I don't believe that fish don't eat every day in the wild. Well, maybe large predators, but not reef fish. That's silly really. Reef fish pick constantly. Their food is plentiful. Why wouldn't they eat regularly?
    Susan