Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

venkiw

sounds alright,has the tank been setup more than 8weeks?
    I personaly would skip the RIO as they have a bad rep for frying[killing off your whole tank] and most large feathers dusters don't last as they are specialized feeders.The MAXI JETS come with a bracket as well to clamp to your tank.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Hi Venkiw,

I didn't know that you had added rock from an established tank...

However, Being that the sand is new, it may not be enough to sustain the cucumber. That's my opinion though...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I agree with tang_man_montreal that the tank is probably to sterile right now even with the LR to sustain a cucumber at this point....The substrate hasn't been established with the LR yet.
    Just my opinion also.
    Cheers

I think the cuke has to go.

So should I sell my Cuke?, I am getting mine on Tuesday.

Are those pumps with an oscillating nozzle any good?, may be the rio needs to listed in the FS section as well may be someone can use it someplace other than the main tank.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Maybe you could have someone hold it for you while your sandbed matures? They are great creatures to have in an aquarium.

Are those pumps with an oscillating nozzle any good?,
    Are you talking about the ZooMed PowerSweep?

I heard that the sweeping motion tends to fail quite often, and you just end up with a simple powerhead.

If you're looking at a cheap way of alternating current, you may want to look into the SCWD.

http://www.3iqventures.com

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

ZOOMEDS

I've try'd one and the nossle does jam up often.

Zoomed powersweep is exactly the pump I had in mind. Will go with the SCWD.

Thanks

Venki Worathur

LOOKING GOOD

Sounds like you're on the right track, I prefer to add live stock slowly, and pre-choose your inhabitants. I've had the awful situation of wanting a fish to find out that it's not compatible, and if it were not for my initial enthusiasm as the "hunter and gatherer" this problem wouldn't have existed. Fortunately the aquarium took back a fish or two and i could swap for the more desired species.
    Have you thoroughly checked the LR for crabs, mantis shrimps, jelly fish, starfish? I found 11 crabs, 2 jellyfish, 1 monster of a mantis shrimp and 2 starfish.
    These need to be removed. Generally soda water is good, soak the rock in soda water for 5-10secs and you'd be amazed at what falls out. mantis shrimps are dangerous and this is one of the best methods of ridding them, I've had Marine for 2 years (freshwater for 6 years) and I found a crab in the rock today. Thus tonight I take the web cam and spy on it during the night to find where it's hiding. All this at this late stage. And I was thorough in finding them.
    It may be a good idea to rid these nasties from the tank before you add fish. I had a few with holes bitten out of them, from crabs, and mantis shrimps can puncture a hole in a humans thumb if it's big enough and also crack your Glass with it's claws, and few medications are available without copper to heal your prized possessions. (at least in Australia).
    Good luck
    I look forward to reading how your tank goes, I hope this information has been helpful, and I haven't scared you off, but I wish I knew this info when I started!!!
    Tiffany:angel:

Tiffany thanks for the post.

I am sure that i do not have any pest, as I watched for a month after adding the LR, lot of bristle worms.

I have somthing that looks like a ghost polyp (nocturnal). Extends itself after lights go off, kind of transparent (looks like the flower that traps insects), may need to id it. Anyone knows what this could be?

Will post a pic in a week or so after completing the lighting.

Cant wait to get my 300+ Gallon going, between my living and dining, if I can convince the Mrs.(the bitter half when it comes to aquariums!!!), and my 9 month old not to touch them.

Venki

ijo

Welcome to Aquaria Canada tiffany.. from reading your post it looks like you have some experience in the hobby... Where are you from? Think you could tell us what type of system your running(tank size.. filtration.. livestock etc)

Thank you for helping out and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

venkiw: you said your bitter half... did you mean better half... ohhh typo's like that will get you in trouble.. hehe :

IJO

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast