Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Hey Ivan,

Don't go about exposing my line of defence...

Thanks for the welcome.
    The bristle worms will have to be removed, they are a pest, they multiply quickly and can give a nasty sting. they can also attack clams, tube-worms, sessile invertebrate, and fish that sleep in crevasses at night.
    I have a philosophy, if I didn't buy it, generally, I don't want it. There are some exceptions, a friendly starfish.
    I understand that you may not see any of the insidious pests now, but try to keep in mind that they are probably still in a larvae form and most are quite adept at hiding, only coming out at night, and species such as the triffid anemone multiply quickly and can kill fish with their sting, their bodies buried deep in rock and they disappear if disturbed, all tanks will come across them and if not removed totally (I crush them with a screw driver) they Will regenerate.
    I am still finding "unwanted" inhabitants, as I mentioned in my last post, I have a another crab. My poor boyfriend now has to help me catch and kill,
    It's best to never assume that the rocks are pest free.
    My occupation ( and personality ) lend me to be a consummate researcher alot of the books and information around differ, from retailer to retailer,. book to book, person to person.

My tank specs.
    tank 1) bi-colored angel.mandarin, long-nose butterfly,fox-face, snails, lawn-mower blennie,school of chromis, and some others that I cant remember now, the tank exploded and all was lost, due to a faulty stand.
    tank 2) the current one. pair of black and white ocillaris clowns, bubble tip anemone, fairy basslet, snails and starfish.
    size, filtration, lighting) 3 foot, Bio-wheel, box filter, coral sand. I don't use halogen, instead I chose the power glow and marine glow tubes, combined. As I suffer from migraines these lighting options are the best for all inhabitants (including me!!LOL)
    Tiffany:angel:

ijo
    Sorry to hear about your tank exploding...

Its also nice to see a different view in regards to the bristleworms... its been a while since I've seen someone say they were not a good thing.

I'm sure many will disagree but what works for you may not or may not work for others. Thats the beauty of this hobby... everyone seems to have 'their way of keeping a healthy aquarium". Sometime opinions differ greatly and others everyone will agree.

Would you happen to have any pictures of those black and white ocillaris clowns.. I think they are awesome.. a little hard to find though.

IJO

: I even had one that was 6 inches long. I was under the impression that they are all good for the taank.

Its exactly the worm you have in the picture.

Now I have to go do a lot more reading on this one.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    As for the fish...

That looks like a Catalina Goby.
    Which does not do well in warmer waters.

From what I've seen, (and those are the same bristleworms I have), they only eat dead or decaying flesh.

From the looks of that picture, that goby was probably already dead when the worms started attacking it.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

tiffany

welcome as well. Your from down unda eh mate! cool to see you here! how did you find this site? I assume you are from Australia? I know there are a few types of bristle worms but 99% of the ones in this hobby are of no harm and just eat detridus and dead things.Thats been my research anyways and I've had them for years with 0 losses.You must get an awsome selection of fish in your LFS's.

Hmmm??
    Tiffany,
    I know I'm going to get some negative remarks but... It seems most of your info you're using is kinda outdated. Even if you're consulting with some people/biologists at a university. What books are they reading??!! It's time to update the library there!! For what it's worth, the SW hobby has directly contributed tons of info in the last few years to the scientific community as opposed to the opposite and has brought the whole understanding of the ecosystems in a saltwater environment into this century ( although there is still much to learn obviously).

Firstoff, Venki, don't get rid of any bristleworms. They are one of the best scavengers you can have and as Vince said, they will never attack anything healthy OR alive, just as Nassarius snails do. The only time you might want to rid your tank of them is if you personally find them too big to look at and find them ugly.
    That pic IS a Catalina goby ( Tiffany, you might want to look into the context of info before you post) and does not do well in the temps. of our tanks since it is a temperate species. Unfortunately it is often sold for the SW hobby because it is nice looking and people get suckered into buying them. I will bet anything that it is already dead from the looks of the blackening of the eyes and the worms are just doing their job. In this hobby, about the ONLY Bristleworm you might get in an aquarium is the type that is completely deep red and these are what you would call a "fireworm". These are not good and in all the SW hobby, it has been only documented about 2 or 3 times of someone finding one in a tank.
    Tiffany,
    you said you found a scallop and you have decided to keep this, yet try to get rid of bristleworms.... might want to rethink this and do the exact opposite as scallops do very..., very poorly in tanks and will aways eventually die and quite often they die hidden inside the rockwork where they usually hangout and cannot be retrieved.

I have a philosophy, if I didn't buy it, generally, I don't want it.
    Not exactly a very healthy way of thinking in a hobby where you actually "need" as much variety as possible and a functioning ecosystem for a tank to stay healthy.

Many people have very large bristles in their tanks and still keep them. Some have had them that are over 1 or 2 feet long yet they never ever touch anything healthy.
    There is a person on ReefCentral that tore down his tank to remove a 6 foot worm but his was the exception as it was a coral munching type. He posted pics of it and it was living in the PVC framework he had made to hold his rockstructure.They will even crawl right over a sleeping fish ( had this happen in my tank with a Mandarin),but yet do nothing to them.
    I WILL agree about lots of crabs, Mantis shrimp, and various pest anemones, but that's about it.

IJO,
    I'm sure many will disagree but what works for you may not or may not work for others. Thats the beauty of this hobby... everyone seems to have 'their way of keeping a healthy aquarium". Sometime opinions differ greatly and others everyone will agree.
    I agree with this philosophy 100%, but sometimes a certain way of thinking or advice is, well...., just plain outdated and has been proven to be wrong or outdated. At these times, it has to be corrected otherwise others will not learn properly and will not advance in the right direction.
    As I said in the beginning of thid post, I know I'm going to get some rather negative feedback here, but bring it on, I've got my firesuit on.:firejump:

Added my live stock

I added all the livestock (all came intact except for a scarlet, the claws were broken).

I hope my emerald will clean all the bubble algae.

Some blue hermits are picking on the feather duster, is this ok?

Everything seems to be ok, but for my damn bomix (still causing some problems it is the fine silt eventually it will settle I hope, no more bomix for me). Should have waited for southdown, but didn't have the patience.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Toutouche,

I agree with your post 100000000%.... I've got some older books which state the complete opposite of some statements in newer books.

Venkiw,

I wouldn't worry about that crab with no claws, It will soon have new ones.

The emerald crab.... that one's a coin-toss. Some eat the bubble, some don't. I had 2 that never touched the stuff.

The blue-leg's are probably just picking at some detritus on the "tube" of the fanworm.

Hope it all turns out ok.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I am in no way offended at all. I would rather that I was corrected than others read the wrong information.
    I did rid the scallop, a short time after discovering it. I apologies for potentially misleading information, I agree with the time that books are published etc..(it was 3 years old)There was more information in the book, with regard to numbers and breeding habits etc.. It also says that they had killed the fish. PS: I didn't write the book!!!!!
    I don't ask the Marine Dept. everything and this was not a question posed to them. They have specialties, and often write the books that are read. I put the offer for others who may want more scientific info. to reply and I will ask.
    On the topic of not wanting what I didn't pay for, it was meant as a broad phrase that was not to be taken literally, Obviously common sense must play a role as well as research. I shall endeavor to express myself more clearly in future.
    Yes I am from Australia, and my time zone is 10 hours ahead of you! The fish are wonderful here. We also get alot from around the world, though I find the Barrier Reef inhabitants the most amazing. We are fortunate to be able to ask for a particular species and have them hand caught from the ocean. Though this often takes some time, and is more expensive, as I wont purchase stock that has been cyanided, and a long wait for the fish to arrive. I know people who go out and catch them themselves locally.... I am not that game, on the beach where i live there are a lot of potential pickings, but I am weary of diseases etc...and aware of quarantine .
    If I may change the topic to water constitution, with regard to "home made" salt water,(I mix both sea and packaged) I have been told that using part of the bag to make the s/w can result in uneven levels of minerals etc... as the minerals etc are dispersed throughout the bag, therefore by not using the whole bag at once certain elements may be missing..
    What are your thoughts on this?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast