Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

New Tank Setup Help Needed.

I just starting a new 37 Gallon tank. I am still working on my lighting...., I added about 60 lbs of Bomix a few weeks ago. I added salt since then and the specific gravity is is at the right amount. I have a PH head runnng for circulation. I added 35 lbs of liverock yesterday. Last night after turning of the incandescent lights I noticed a lot of worms ( some red and orange and some like earth worms sneeking out), the livrock has a lot of worms.

These worms are no longer moving probablly around 100 of them. I few large worms are still moving around, but are slowly coming out of hiding. I am afraid that they might end up dead.

IS there anyone in Ottawa who can have a look at my setup and let me if I need anything changed.

This is my first saltwater tank.

TIA

VW

Venkiw: Probably lots of us who will take a look. What part of the city are you in?

I am in barrhaven.

I just saw a few Sea cucumber crawling out.

I can be reached at 843-9280 if anyone can drop by to take a look.

Thanks

Venki

I turned on my skimmer for a while, but it was just producing white foam. So I turned off the skimmer.

Since there was foul smell coming from the tank, I decide to put the air stone in the tank.

Status this morning.

Most of the worms seen on the sand are missing, either got eaten away or decomposed.

No more creatures crawling out, except for this huge sea cucumber (popping out ocasionally), so far seen only 7 inch out, but the rest is in the hole he is hiding in.

I hope the air stone wont do any damage as it is producing micro bubbles in the tank.

Can I manage without the lights, I am waiting on my lamps and fan to arrive to mount them inside my hood.

Thanks

A 7-inch sea cucumber from your live rock :blink: I wish my live rock is this diverse and full of life.

Don't worry about the foul smell and die off of some worms. If you got your live rock mail ordered, there will be some die off and you will get some ammonia. It is important at this point to not add any livestock to the tank until everything is cycled. Keep testing for ammonia and nitrite frequently until these values drop to zero. Then it is safe to add some clean up crews to deal with the upcoming algae bloom.

Turn off the skimmer as you don't want it to remove the ammonia before your beneficial bacteria has a chance to grow and multiply. Keep the circulation going and keep the lights on for about 4 to 5 hours a day. Now while everything is in its settling period, practise keeping your temperature and salinity stable. Establish a habit of adding top off freshwater to keep the salinity constant.

Welcome to the wonderful world of reefkeeping! :biggrinbo
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Hi GoSUV,

Thanks for your post.

Yes indeed the liverock is so diverse. I picked them up from Jake who those on sale at 2$/lb. They are pretty good rocks.

I don't know what these are but, I saw a long orange colored worms (6 - 7") that looked like caterpillar, haven't seen it since.

I maintain my Temp at 79 def F, and salinity at 1.025.

I am going to pick up some pickling lime as my Ph is around 7.3, I hope this is not what caused the worms to die.

Since they came out of an established tank and were only out of water for an hour, I am at a lack of idea on what went wrong.

But the worm decomposed overnight.

Hi Venkiw,

Those were probably bristleworms, etc. all good.

Even a move will cause some disruption, also, Jake did have a crash and some dieoff which can disrupt the rock.

Toutlouche's advice is perfect, but since he may not have known it was "rock from an other tank"...

Make sure your pH probe is calibrated, or you have a reliable test kit. I would be adding buffer to raise it too, just just limewater (drip slowly).

Since this is Jake's rock, myself, I would turn the skimmer on anyway, as it's helping in gas exchange. It may also take a while for foam to build up and start to be scummy and come out. If you have die off rest assured that if it works, shit will come out! You mentioned a while, sometimes it can take days to work proper if a lot's been going on in the tank.

Don't rush your main lighting if they aren't done - the rock will be more than fine without light while you finish them. Try to get light on after a week or so though. I've had rock in the dark for a long time (well over a month) and it won't hurt it too bad. It will bounce back.

Hope this helps. And welcome to a very anecdotal hobby!

PS: where are you in barrhaven? I might be able to come visit you on the weekend.
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

Thanks fishysan

Sent you a PM.

The Skimmer is cool, it is a 3 ft Skimmer I picked up from someone in Ottawa. I can hardly see through the skimmer when it is in operation, so many microfine bubbles.

Do you know of any normally open solenoid valve I can use to prevent water spills in the event of a power outage.

Thanks

VW

Your temp and salinity is fine. However make sure you are using a reliable test kit as a pH of 7.3 is way too low, almost neutral, i.e. close to freshwater, if you ask me. What kind of salt mix are you using?

Also the wrong pH would cause the skimmer to not produce foam at all. That's the reason why freshwater setups never use protein skimming. You need a slightly basic (~pH 8) water in order to produce foam for the skimmer to work correctly.

I wouldn't use buffer to correct pH problems. Although it sounds like it may work, but I view it as a temporary bandaid solution which might give you other problems later on. If your buffer/alkalinity ends up too high, you will precipitate Calcium and create an imbalance, which you will have to correct later on when you add livestock. IMO dripping kalkwasser slowly is the way to go. Kalk is naturally balanced so you won't create a new problem, and kalk is quite basic so you will slowly raise your pH. Just mix the dry powder in some freshwater, let it settle out, and only use the clear liquid. Slowly drip into the tank, preferrably in a high flow area.

As Fishysan said, even though the rock may only be out of water for an hour or so, but since they came from a crashed system, you might as well treat it as uncured rock, and keep testing until it is safe.

Your air pump is ok, but I would leave it out as soon as you add corals because micro bubbles will bother them. I myself found that bubbles in the tank will create too much salt splash, which will be a PITA to clean when all the whitish deposites cover all your lights. If you want gas exchange, leave the lid off (if you have one), and have a powerhead point at the water surface to create a rippling effect.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

thank you

Thank you all, this forum rocks!!!.

I am using instant ocean, I bought the 50 gallon pack and dumped a little less than 3/4 of the salt into the water 2 weeks back. The specific gravity has been stable at 1.025.

May be my Ph kit is not reading properly, it is the same kit I use on my Freshwater, but has a seperate color chart for saltwater.

I'll buy a different kit just for saltwater, and buy some calcium powder if it is still low.

The sea cucumber is an amazing thing to watch (it is pale) but considering the fact that it hitch hiked with the rocks it is my little perk so far.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast