Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acro questions

Acro questions

I'm easing my tank into it's new lighting & I'm trying to figure out if I'm going too fast or not. I'm up-to about 2 hours a day MH lighting, the rest is 40W PC 50/50s.

Everything seems to be okay & loving the light except for the previously brown acro I brought home from the last MASO meeting.

I'm undecided if it's turning orange or if it's bleaching.

Any tips on telling the difference?

Is it safe to assume as long as it has a colour it's okay? If it's un-healthy doesn't it pretty quickly change colour?

Finally if it dies doesn't it turn white?

Thanks!

I know from first hand experience that when they die they do turn white.

If it's bleaching, as the word says it, it would be turning white. If you say it was previously brown, that's because it didn't have enough light. So if you say that it's turning orange now, you are on the right track. There are several colors of Acros. Yours is simply an orange one that did not have sufficient lighting before, but is finding it's true colors under the new MH.
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

If the tips are more whiter, then it could also be new growth, all my sps have white tips, a sign of growth

No new tips that I can see.

If it bleaches, is it a sudden process or does it slowly turn white?

Thanks!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

it is usually a slow process. over a couple of days. you may want to ask Touche as I know he's had experience with this too.

Conan,
    No.., what I ahd wasn't bleaching. I had corals that RTNed from something I did on my filter system.
    Bleaching is when the whole coral starts to become very pale. To the inexperienced, it might look like just a skeleton in an extreme case, but it might just be that the skin has become very bleached. If your new to corals, what I recommend you do is leave it in there even though it has become completely whitish. If you eventually start to see algae growing on it, then it has indeed died and it is just the skeleton left. If it "looks" like just the skeleton and there is no algae starting to grow on it, then it is most probably still very much alive and will take some time to recover. Eventually, once it has become conditioned to it's new environment, it will start to color up. Of course, there is always the possibility that it might simply be in a spot that is just not good for it and it perhaps might not come back as long as it's there. This is where you have to more or less do your research into what you aquire and know the husbandry for it..., more or less. It's also not a good idea to keep moving it, even though you have the temptation to.
    Hope this helps you a bit.

Krugar,
    Can you take a clear pic of it up close so that we can maybe know what type it is. This way we might be able to help you a bit more with positioning.

what I meant was experience with Acros in general as you very well prooved in your post!!

Oh.., O.k.

I'll try to get a pic in tonight.
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast