Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hitchhiker

New Hitchhiker

As usual looking at the LR and trying to observe new life. At some point I noticed one of my little hermits getting pulled into a hole that was definately too small for him to fit into. Then suddenly, out pops this little claw from the side of the LR trying to get to my little hermie. (So the hole has two openings, one from the top and one from the side). I promptly knocked little hermie to safety and tried to see this mean little sucker. Well, he went back into his hole. So I decided to wait until night time to see if he was a night owl. Low and behold, he's at it again. My little hermie didn't seem to learn his lesson. The only glimpse I got were two claws, (So this tells me its a crab) that looked like clown fish! In other words, there were two orangish (don't know if that's a word) stripes at either end of the claw. Any ideas as to what type of crab this is? I realize I should get rid of it because I can't have it trying to eat hermies that are ten times as large. I can't imagine what it would do if it outgrew the hermies! My problem is that it is so tiny, I wouldn't even know where to start to try and get him. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and tried!
    Thanks all!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Orange-ish claws pulling your hermie?
    Maybe you have a peacock mantis shrimp in there?

Try to lure it out with a piece of shrimp. Either way, if it's going after your hermits now, who knows what else it will go after as it gets bigger...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Good lord,please don't tell me that! That's my worry that if I don't get him, he will become one serious bad a$$!
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Don't kill it though it if is actually one.
    Some people pay serious money for mantis shrimp.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Can you remove the rock? If you can, take it out, hold over a bucket of sea water and squirt some seltzer (sp?) water in the hole. Whatever is in there, will promptly vacate.

Mantis dont have claws. It's probably your typical "gorilla", or preditory, crab. Easiest thing to do is take out the rock, take a turkey baster and squirt RO water into that hole. I did that for a couple of mine, and my mantis shrimp, worked like a charm. If it was the mantis you would hear LOUD snapping as it hit rock and other things.

Edit: Oh... look at that, I was beaten to it lol... sorry about that
    -Dazz

Yeah, I honestly don't think it is a mantis after looking at all the different pics. I haven't seen it for a while so I will wait for it to reappear. Thanks for all the info, once I relocate him, I will definately try your ideas!
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Observed this critter last night and again today....Last night when the lights were out, I watched him as he pulled stuff from his rock and placed it in his mouth which tells me he is more of a janitor than a crab eater! Then today, I watched him as he poked at another hermit crab that was getting too close to his hole. I am thinking that he was merely trying to protect his home rather than trying to eat a hermit crab. Any thoughts on this from all you experts out there?
    Thanks!
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

If you have a pic, it would definately help.
    -Dazz

try to get us a pic....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast