Thread: More questions

More questions

Got a bunch of questions maybe someone can help me with...

1. When a crab/shrimp molts do you remove the molt from the tank?

2. When placing a flat brain, do you let it sit on the sand or push it in abit?

3. How often would you feed a candy cane, sun polyp and flat brain?

4. My crabs and shrimp go nuts when I feed the above. Is there some type of plant or something that they can feed from whenever they want that can be left in the water?

5. I have very little algae growing, good or bad? Only abit where powerhead flow hits front pane of glass.

Thank you
    James

1. When a crab/shrimp molts do you remove the molt from the tank?

You can but it isn't necessary. It's possible that leaving it there may actually provide food for some critters.

2. When placing a flat brain, do you let it sit on the sand or push it in abit?

Just sit it but tip it first to be sure there are no air bubbles trapeed underneath.

3. How often would you feed a candy cane, sun polyp and flat brain?

Tough question. I would feed them everyday and watch them grow and colour up. Others don't feed them at all, they grow very slowly but still look nice. Every few days is what most people do.

4. My crabs and shrimp go nuts when I feed the above. Is there some type of plant or something that they can feed from whenever they want that can be left in the water?

Try giving them a little something to keep them busy before feeding your corals. Or feed the corals right after you feed the fish so they can pick at that.

5. I have very little algae growing, good or bad? Only abit where powerhead flow hits front pane of glass.

I wouldn't be complaining about that It's unusual in a new tank but normal in a mature tank. How old is yours?
    Susan

Flame,

Thank you very much for helping me out. My tank has been running for 73 days now and I've done 2 15% WC's in that time. Its weird cause I thought there would be tons of algae as with my FW tanks but like I said, theres some only where the flow from the powerhead hits the glass. Hope it contiunes to look like this for a long time.

As to question 1, at first I took out the molt. But for the last 3 times I didn't. Then after few days, they were all gone, even their antennae. So my crabs must have eaten them.

I always remove my molts just to help keep the nutrients down, but like Flame Angle said it's not necessary.

I have a candy cane and Sometimes I feed him every day and some times I only feed him twice a week. It just depends on how lazy I get. I would feed him at least twice a week it would keep him happy.

When ever I fed my corals my cleaner shrimp would rip the food out of their mouths. It even got so bad that he was tearing the corals tissue to get at their food. I had to take my cleaner shrimp back to the pet store. And I did feed him before I fed the corals but it didn't help. I now feed my Blastomussa with a pop bottle over it (I cut the bottle in half). Nothing seems to bother my candy cane when I feed it.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

my cleaner does the same thing....he tears the food from my corals and BTA....kinda :madder: right off....if ya know what i mean.....hahaha