Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Live Rock Curing

Hi folks,

I've been curing my live rock for 3-4 days now in my main tank (I'm starting up, there was nothing live in there).

My water params are as follows (as of last night):

Nitrite 1
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 50
    Salinity 1.026
    Temp 76

I'm looking for some input on the frequency/volume of water changes during the curing process.

I also don't understand why the Ammonia is 0...

Thanks
    Eric

Did you get the rock from Ivan here at AC? I got mine from him and had the same experience. Non-dectable cycle. Great rock!
    Susan

I did... Mind you mine's only been in there for 3-4 days.... Am I due for a water change Flame?

BTW my girlfriend is doing the whole phyto/rotifers/brine shrimp (she's a biologist hehe)... She loves your website! :thumb:

Cheers,
    Eric

Nah, I'm just doing my first water change today and I've had mine a little over 3 weeks. I've been feeding the tank like crazy trying to "make it cycle" but it won't. I even left a large queen conch that died in there to rot figuring that would do it. This rock is amazing. No ammonia, no nitrites and after all that my nitrates are barely dectable, maybe 1. I wouldn't bother with a water change at only 3-4 days.

I shut down my rotifer and brine shrimp cultures as they fed my aiptasia too well I hated to do it but it really was necessary. I'm still doing phyto though.

LOVE your avatar! Are those your horsies?
    Susan

Like you super, I am curing my rock in the tank as well. It has been there for 7 days. As of last night, my parameters are:

Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 4
    Nitrate - 40+ (test shows 40 then 80. Above 40 below 80).
    Salinity - 1.025
    PH - 8.2
    Temp 78

I have been testing every other day to see what is happening. The Ammonia dropped from 2.0 to 0 in 4 days, The nitrite was at 5 (maximum on the test chart) and has started to drop, the Nitrates have jumped from 10 to 40+.

As I understand it, the peaks are ammonia first, nitrites second and then nitrates. If this is the case, then the curing is going according to sequence. I have been following Flame's diary, particularly the 300g to see the process of curing her live rock and if mine is following a similar pattern. I like the idea of 'feeding' the tank to promote a cycle.

I have heard of other people getting a raw shrimp and throwing it in the tank to promote the cycle. I am thinking about it but not sure if this should be done. Any opinions?

Ward
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

I didn't test anything until I had the rock in a week. At that point the nitrite was 0 and the nitrates were about 2. I really don't think I ever had any ammonia or nitrites. A few days after the rock arrived I dumped in two large bottles of Cycle (bacteria) to help boost the rock. I'm not sure if that made the difference or not.

I wouldn't bother with a raw shrimp. It sounds like your tank is already underway. I had a very large queen conch die in there and left her to rot figuring if I was going to get an ammonia spike this would do it. It didn't.

If I were you I'd do a water change after the nitrites are zero to bring the nitrates down.
    Susan

ijo
    Feeding your rock as it cycles is really not needed but does have its advatages.

On the average system... your able to add your first fish soon after the tank cycles... You would wait for your system to catch up(2-4 weeks IMO) and then add your second fish(don't forget to QT)... etc etc

What i think Susan is doing with the 3 feedings/day is getting her system to handle a high bioload(1 of these feedings would crash 50% of our tanks : ) I am sure she will keep feeding the amounts and maybe even more once she starts adding fish to her system. By doing it this way you would be able to add many fish at a time since the system is already able to handle a much higher load.

If you decide to go the Susan method and stop the heavy feedings after you start adding fish... your system should adjust within the first 4 weeks and you'll be exactly where you would be if you never fed. HTH

IJO

Thanks Ivan. I knew Susan is planning on a FOWLR for the 300g and your explanation makes it a lot clearer why the feeding process is being used. I, on the other hand, plan on a reef system, with emphasis on corals, etc and a few fish.

I think I will let the cycle progress naturally until the parameters reach 0. That way I can get something more than rock in there (ahh! patience, ugh)
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

The Susan method I like that. It does help prepare the tank for fish faster. However, you do need to keep doing tests to monitor what's going on.

I decided to double the amount of food I've been feeding the tank recently because my nitrates are still going down. Ivan this rock ROCKS! I followed the same methods when I set up the reef 3 years ago but it didn't cycle clean like this one. It was months before I could add a fish. This tank is probably ready now at only 3 weeks but I'm goign to give it another week or so. It really is the rock that makes the difference.
    Susan

Susan, I missed your last message. I started testing at day 2. I had this tank with rock saying "Well do something with me". So I started testing.

Thanks for the advice on water change. I was not sure when to do one. I think the nitrates are now starting to drop, so will check in a couple days.

I think through my previous research, I expected things to happen slower. Fresh rock sure makes a difference.

p.s I really enjoy your diary. It is neat to follow and see how things progress on a daily basis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast