Thread: Tank selections

Tank selections

We are thinking about converting either our 75g planted or 72g bow(african) over to salt. The 75g has 5*40 watt NO lighting which we could use for what we want, the 72g we'd have to upgrade the lighting to PC(AquaLight 48" 4-65W). I dont want(cant) use MH at this point and we cant sump either because we are worried about floods and such being on the third floor. I guess my question is if you had to choose between the two which would you want to convert? I know that going sumpless isnt the proper way to do it but those are my limits. Could I use a fluval 404 as part of the filtration along with powerheads and some type of skimmer?

Any input is welcome.

Thanks
    James

Has you used copper meds in either tank? That would make that tank less suitable for SW.
    Nick

72 bow,and read the post on top VERY IMPORTANT.

oh yes you can,you dont need a sump.i have a 150 gallon sumpless i did want to have the trouble with flooding wich happened to me once before.Either tank is good your choice.Its not for 3 gallons thats going to make a difference.If you have fish only lighting is not an issue mostly a pleasant view for yourself.A fluval is good, some powerheads and a good skimmer.some good substrate and a fair amount of live rock.Are you going fish only.
    How do you plan to do your tank cycling??

As for copper if you clean the tank completely and rinse and wash with vinegar and rinse again you will be fine....that is you ever used copper.

You dont need ro water but you could end up with phosphate problems if you dont.
    Derik...

No meds in these as they are less than 6 month old Oceanic show tanks. I think we will use the 72g bow because the africans breed way too much and arent fun to watch anymore. Would the AquaLight 48" 4-65W be enough for lighting, we now have candy cane, zenia and open brain and would keep the same types in the bigger tank with minimal fish. Im not too sure about cycling as the 29g I setup a few months ago didnt go through much at all(33 pounds LR), but I'd take it slow and watch everything.