Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Freshwater to Saltwater (800 gallons)

Hi, I have an 800 gallon ackrillic (however u spell that) freshwater tank. I've had it for two years now and I want to convert it to a saltwater tank. I've only kept fish in there, no gravel no decorations etc. I custom made a wet dry filter and got a pond pump. From there it goes through some pvc pipe through a UV light and into the tank.

Planned tank set up:
    -Live rock
    -triggerfish (most peaceful one)
    -grouper (most peaceful one)
    -any reccomended fish

So, what do I need to set this tank up?

(Tank is in the basement, so lighting needs to stay on for a couple hours)

Tank background:
    I've been raising freshwater fish (cichlids) for years. I've owned a variety of tanks from 55 gallons - 180 gallons (w/ the help of my dad who loves the hobby) We got the 800 gallon tank from a petstore that was renovating (Pets Plus) The manager sold the tank to us for $200.00 !!!. It has a couple of scratches b/c it went from a sltwater tank to housing bearded dragon lizards. But imo it was still a good steal b/c the manager thought it wouldn't hold water, so we took a chance and it was definately worth it.

What's in it now:
    I have a breeding pair of flowerhorn, a breeding pair of managuense, and a single flower horn. All of them are over 10 inches. I would've added more, but I have always wanted to do saltwater so I might just do that, but I'm gonna need a lot of help on what equipment to get so thanks in advance

Wow. . .

I hope you have some money.

My first thought is that you will need a bunch of live rock and a really big skimmer. The other must buy is and RO/DI system to keep the nutrients out of the top-off water.

Your in the right place. There are some very experienced marine aquarists here.

I take it you are looking at a fish only set up? If it's fish only Then Like Bvoss said lots of live rock and a Huge Skimmer! Your UV light would also come in handy. As for lighting you only need what is pleasing to the eye. You would also need some type of circulation in the tank, wheather you want to use a closed loop or power heads that's up to you. May I ask what the dimensions on the tank are?

If you wanted to save some money you could use mostly base rock and just get some live rock to seed the base rock. If you were going to make that tank into a reef it would be alot more costly!

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Were did you get it? and if you dont mind me asking how much?next year i am going for approx 600 and i am shopping around now.

Thanks
    DErik
    Derik...

sorry !!read t ooo fast......I my opinion you could have a really nice minatus grouper,a lion fish,starfishes,sea urchins,cukes,You could have a big angel..emperor or queen,dragon wrasse,you could add a bunch of yellow tangs...if i were you I would get 1/2 base rocks and 1/2 live rocks...try to get it from someone who wants out of the hobby...try www.aquaquebec.net
    Derik...

You know what, I'm not even 100% sure if this tank is an 800 gallon tank. By looking at the demensions I think it is a 500 gallon tank, but the manager told us (my dad and I) it was 800 gallons.

Here are the tank dimensions:
    (LxWxH)
    96" x 30" x 30"
    or
    8' x 2'6" x 2'6"

Yeah it's a bahemouth. Good thing it was ackrillic and it only took 4 people to carry. We also had to fabricate a tank stand. Basically all we did was use three columns of 2X4 and put three 10' planks on top and nail them to the columns to stabalize and provide a flat surface.

To circulate the water, we used pvc pipe connected to the overflow boxes and to the holes that are supposed to return water to the custom made wet dry filter. It's just a rubbermaid tub that is about 3 1/2 feet tall and 3 1/2 feet wide. So all the water drains into that and fills it up half way and the pump (a pond pump) returns the water back to the tank. It is connected to more pvc pipe and flows through the UV light and into the tank. The return provides th same turbulence a powerhead would so we never got one.

What kind of protein skimmer would you guys rccomend?

What kind of live rock can I use? Are there different types ?
    Same questions apply to base rock.

What is an RO/DI system, and what would you guys reccomend?

As for cycling, I can't use the cycled freshwater and just add salt in there right, I'd have to empty the tank adn start over right?

I'm very happy I found this site and am looking foward to the replies

Tank plans:
    I won't be doing coral anytime soon, I just want to put some rocks and as much fish as this tank can take. I also want hardy fish, hence me liking the triggerfish.

Edit: Also forgot to ask you guys/girls to include price if possible, thank you very much for all the help so far

An RO/DI filter hooks up to you tap water and takes out all of the nutrients alonmg with the chlorine. It will greatly reduce the algea and other problems you will have in a marine tank. I would look on e-bay.ca for one. They have some great prices.

You will have to talk to somebody with a monster tank to figure out the skimmer. There are a number of people here and in Ottawa that can build them for you.

As far as the rock goes, look for somebody that is getting out of the hobby. This is going to run into real money for a tank that size. So you don't have to choosey about the type of rock. You need all that you can get your hands on for a good price.

You should drain the tank and start with RO/DI water. You problably have a ton of nutrients in that FW system. Some of the bacteria will move from the FW to SW environment but most will not.

SW is very different from FW. The live rock is the secret instead of external biological filtration.

Good luck

Hi stellar2187,

Please state your location...i.e - town.. it'll make it easier to help you out.
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

its a 375 gallons......96x30x30 divided by 231...375 gallons
    Derik...

Hi stellar, by my calculation, you tank is 374 gallon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast