Calcium / alk question

Okay this is possibly a dumb question, but I've been reading that kw takes care of both your calcium and maintains your alk levels.

So wouldn't I test for calcium levels and add KW when needed? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Yeah kinda. it depends on the balance. If you just dose kalk you may find it hard to raise CA if alk levels are off as the CA will just precipitate out of the water.

Test both IMO before dosing either.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

Yes and no. Kalkwasser does add both but not necessarily in the quantities you need. I find it to be heavier on the alk and lighter on the calcium. Depending on how much your tank uses of each you may need to add more than just kalkwasser, some people are able to use this alone though. However, if you have low calcium and use enough kalkwasser to bring it up you can bring on a nasty pH spike and your alk would be off the chart.
    Susan

Kruger, a mixed solution of KW has a ph of over 12- that is deadly high. This is why it has to be used in minute amounts, otherwise you'd blast the ph so high in your tank that you'd have a disaster on your hands. So you can't do a one shot thing with kw. On a constant drip, or a drip that goes in at night, when the lights are off and the ph is dropping, kw will be very effective at keeping the ph from falling and will also add a little calcium and alkalinity. I find that kw is more of a maintanace tool than an additive.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Yeah I knew I had to drip kalk, I didn't realise alot of people drip it 7/24, only at night etc. I was hoping it was something I could hook up over night, once in a while.

I suppose it wouldn't be too bad if it had to be hooked up every night...

Anyway, I'm hearing that figuring out how much kalk to use is more artform than hard science. Any decient guidelines?

I also have to figure out how to get it into the tank. I was shocked at the price Kent wants for a jug with a hole in it & some tubing lol so it looks like I'll be poking holes in my own bottle, any tips there?

This is of course still the planning stage, I still need to pick up the test kits & find out where I'm at...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Okay so if I understand everything I've read about Caclium & Alk, really before I worry about the calcium in the tank I have to make sure the alk is at the right levels or I'm at best wasting my time, possibly causing a snow storm in the tank or worse.

Would it be a good idea then to pick up the alk test kit & see where that's at before I procede with anything else on this?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

YES, that is an excellant idea!!
    The next step would be a calcium test kit- also before you start adding anything.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high