Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

circulation redesign

Presently i have a mag950 as a return pump from my sump and 3 400gph powerheads. After having 2 of my fish being killed by the power head (they got sucked in) i then modified them so this wouldn't happen again. I have been thinking for a while about the long term esthetics and would like to get rid of them. So i bought another mag950 and i was thinking of placing the return on the opposite side of the tank. Should i consider some type of 4 way split or would a return on each side be good enough. My tank is 6 ft long.

is there no way to hide the powerheads behind your rockwork? do you have a strainer intake for them to protect the fish?
    Albert
    My Photos

hagen doesn't make a strainer for the 802's only the smaller ones and all they have is that huge quick filter that attaches to the power head which is double the size. I modified the power heads but i am really considering of removing them. What good purpose to they have anyway that my 2 return pumps can't do?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

the other 950 you bought, do you mean you want to add it as a closed loop or as a second return?
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

second return. i have a 2" hole in my tank
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Mike, look at these links.
    It shows you a nice closed loop using a SCWD circulation device. The SCWD alters the curent from one side to the next, creating a wave motion. I have one for sale if you're interested.

http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

The intake is a little invasive for my tastes, but can be hidden in the overflow.

Here's a How-to for the above link:
    http://www.melevsreef.com/how_to_build.html

Hope that helps.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

That will not work on my tank because my tank's overflow isn't designed the way tou think. All i have is a box and a hole at the bottom. In other words, or i will need to put an ugly intake or put the pump in my sump. How does thew scwd work? how does it make waves? is it possible to have a 3way return with it or is it only 2 way?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Check out http://www.3iqventures.com/buynow.html

They have a video there, more like an infomercial that tells you all about it.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

how much ya want? i might need 2 of them

Do you have any idea where to purchase that return fitting with the flexible hose that goes in the tank. It's in the video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast