Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clam health

clam health

The LFS here as a sweet deal on a nice size gold maxima clam. I was wondering what to look for to see if indeed the clam is in good health. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    First thing,
    A healthy clam is very responsive to changes in light. Even sliding your hand on the glass near the clam should make it "flinch". If the clam seems sluggish, that's a first indication of bad health.

See if it's fully expanded it's mantle.

Make sure it's not "gaping". Gaping is when it's intake, or what some people refer to as it's mouth, is wide open showing you it's gills. A clam will gape when it's stressed, such as acclimating to a new tank. If your LFS has had it a while, it shouldn't be gaping.

Make sure the clam is not bleaching. They have zooaxanthalae, like corals, that will be expelled if under too much light.

If all looks good so far, the final test is to check for parasitic snails from the pyramillid sp. family. These snails usually are found underneath the clam on it's "foot". They are VERY tiny. If you see any, it means trouble for the clam. They eat it from the inside out.

The clam may or may not be attached to something. The foot, known as it's byssal gland, sends out filaments which the clam uses to secure itself to substrate. Some clam's byssal glands are injured when captured, and die. If attached to a large rock, make sure the LFS knows how to remove the clam (by cutting the byssal threads as near to the rock as possible), or just by the rock the clam is on.

I don't think I forgot anything... That should help though.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Thanks alot tang man. Alot of stuff to remember to check tommorrow when I go back to look at it again.

Is there any prefered palcement for a clam. I'm running a combo of 2 - 65 w 50/50 pc's and 400w of 10000k vho.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Place it as high as possible. While Crocea's are more light dependant than Maxima's, you still want it to absorb as much light as possble.

You're lighting may just cut it. MH's would be ideal.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Take a look at the gallery and my pics of my two clams, they are under less light then you have and doing excellent. I don't keep them on the sand, they are placed higher up.

Thanks for the advice guys. Now just have to rearrange the rock work to get a proper place for it.

Be sure it's well supported if you put it up on the rocks. When a clam is new it will often "rock" to get settled before it attaches and can fall behind your rocks.
    Susan

Thanks for the info flame. Will definately make sure of that. I hope the clam is healthy.

One thing I forgot - don't have it wedged in between two rocks too tightly either, it won't be able to open when it grows. If you can manage to put two small rocks on each side just temporarily until it attaches and then remove them that would be best.

Post a pic when you get him settled!
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast