Thread: Weird creature?

Weird creature?

As I was cleaning the front glass today I moved the magnet over a spot I thought was algae then this creature started to "hovercraft" away. I tore a little piece off of it with the magnet, but it still continued on the front glass. It is translucent , flat and moves like a Jellyfish/hovercraft? Is it a flat worm? It's about a 1/4 inch in diameter and almost opaque? I wish I had a better camera, if anyone has any ideas let me know please. Thanks.

sounds like a flatworm..
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Thanks Reefmutt, after extensive searching on the internet I believe it was, I also watched my big clown eat it! I have recently added a few softies and did not dip them in Lugols, which in hindsight would have been wise.....now will there be more? I could barely see it, the reef is almost three and I have not seen one before this, should I expect to have losses? I have examined the corals as best I could and have not seen anymore but.....

If they were a whitish, opaque color as you mentioned, you needn't orry, that type never gets to big amounts and as a matter of fact, they usually dissapear on their own. The brownish or reddish types are different and can cause you many headaches. Also, the fact that your clown ate it shows that you also have a fish that might very well keep them in check.

Thanks Toutouche, I hope you're right, although I must admit, it was a very interesting creature! What keeps them in check in nature?

In nature, there is always something that will eat something else. Kinda like the big fish eating the little fish, and the bigger fish eating the big fish.
    An aquarium, being that it is a closed system, can never be compared to the open ocean as we are missing many, many, many links in the whole cycle of the marine world. Often that certain predator that will eat certain things is missing.