Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

green open brain and anemones

I have a green open brain under 440w VHO. He was striving till this weekend when i added 35 lbs LR to my tank. He was previously between 2 110 bulbs and now due to the height of my LR i moved him under 1 of the lights. I gave a glass top and the bulb over the glass top is under a rubber holder so i can open and close the glass top without the glass falling. This said is it possible that the coral isn't getting enough light and should i move him some where else? He really isn't looking as it use to.Can i palce him on a rock or does it have to be on the sand? I also have 2 anemones. 1 pink buble tip and 1 magnifica. My ocellaris clowns seem a bit stupid and dont want nothing to do with eather of them. I guess i have bad luck. Also my buble tip seems not to like light, it stays mainly under a rock at the bottom of the tank. Do anemones need to be fed or is lighting enough. Also do you guys leave the power heads on when feeding?

The open brain is getting enough light, it is fine for light. It can be on a rock or on the sand.
    The bubble doesn't need as much light as the magnifica. It is normal for bubble tips to go to a place where their foot is deep in the rocks and only their tentacles show. Sometimes it takes a few weeks for them to come out after being added to the tank.
    The magnifica may not have enough light- they like TONNES of light the more the better- metal halide preferably. Ocellaris do host in magnifica in the wild, I think, and unless they are tank raised clowns, should go into it eventually. Whether or not anemonies need to be fed is an endless topic of debate. I don't really think they NEED to be fed but it can't hurt.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Well to my surprise me open brain is thriving tonight and my buble tip split in 2 today. According to the anemone study/faq at reefcentral the magnifica aka magnificient does host ocellaris clowns but not the buble tip
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

what's the alkalinity in your tank? Bubble tips often split due to stress- often because of fluctuating alkalinity and/or ph.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

i also have a pink BTA and my 2 ocellaris dont wat to make the symbiose thing... I am pretty sure its because they are tank raised (bought at big als). I heard that BTA is much better with maroons... not that sure about it.
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

IMO anemones also have to be fed, especially your magnifica. try feeding them chunks of fish twice a week and see how they react. Both my carpet and magnifica look much better the day after I feed them. I found when I overfed the carpet he didn't bother coming into the light. Some would say anemones are designed to catch food for a reason, they can't live a full life on nourishment from light. But everybody has an opinion so experiment a bit and see what works best.

Originally posted by i2ik
    i also have a pink BTA and my 2 ocellaris dont wat to make the symbiose thing... I am pretty sure its because they are tank raised (bought at big als). I heard that BTA is much better with maroons... not that sure about it.
    I bought mine at big als also but decided to pay more and buy the ones that weren't tank raised because they didn't look good and because they would hopefully go in the anemone. Well only time will tell.

Here's a link you'll find usefull.

http://biodiversity.uno.edu/ebooks/intro.html

Mike,
    I bought a pair at Bg Al's also because I didn't have an Anemone I didn't think it was crucial that they still had that instinct in them. Well.., they took to hosting in my Hammer from day 2 of being in the tank. I think if I DID have an Anemone, they might very well have hosted it, since they still were looking for a place to call home...

mine host on my frogspawn, torch, hammer, and hairy mushroom. they take turns with each coral, which is also good because this way they wont stress any particular coral out.
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast