Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wierd heat issue

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, maybe somebody can figure it out.

I've been monitoring my tank temp a lot closer since I picked up an MH light. My old heater wasn't up to the task so yesterday I picked up an Ebo-Jagger from Ivan.

I have the new heater set to 81*F. Here's what's happening:

Canpoy off, MH on, Fan off, PH off: Temp range: 81-82F
    Canopy off, MH on, Fan on, PH on: Temp range: 80-81F
    Canopy off, MH off, Power head on: Temp range: 83-84F
    Canopy on, PC off, Power head on: Temp range: 84-85F
    Canopy on, PC on, Power head on: Temp range: 84-85F

Room Temperature: 72F

At first glance it would look like the power head is heating the tank, but it's the heater. Shortly after turning the PH back on the heater turns on and stays on untill the water climbs to 84ish degrees.

So why does the heater think it needs to be on when the water flow is increased? Is this normal & I just haven't noticed it before?

Anyway this is giving me 4-5* F temperature swings, oddly cooling the most I'm using the MH & the way too big fan I'm (temporarily) keeping it cool with.

Is this temperature swing a problem?

Thanks in advance!

how much time between the swings? 4 degrees swing to me is an issue if its withing 20-24 hours
    Derik...

I have 2 heaters for that reason
    Derik...

Yeah and in my 75g I have multiple heaters as well, this is for my Nano & I think the problem is it's getting too hot, but not when you'd expect it too.

I actually want to bring the temp down to 81-82*F. What's confusing me on this is why does the power head cause the heater to turn on & raise the temp.

I thought at first it was something like a fan making the air feel cooler, but why wouldn't that have the same effect on the digital temp probe?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

This is not uncommon and I have seen it often. The sump is a much smaller volume of water and the water is moving through it pretty fast so it cools down faster EVEN while being supplied from the display tank. SOOO the heater goes on and continues to heat the water even if the tank is already at the desired temperature. Try turning the heater down a little bit every 48 hours until you get to where you want to be in the display tank.
    Rob

Okay now this is starting to annoy me.

I've moved the tempurature setting down 1* per day and got it down to 77*F. This heats the tank to 82.5*F.

The problem is that neither heater will turn on unless the temp drops to 77*. Then they turn on and stay on until it climbs back up.

If I don't have any water flow, then both the $12 and the Ebo-Jagger heater are accurate. With in a minute of turning my filter back on the heating goes to pot.

So I've moved the Ebo-Jagger to the other-side of the tank. It turned on at 81.5, but it still hasn't turned off yet at 82.9. (I moved the setting back to 79*F for testing)

The lights have no effect on this, execpt that the tank will heat faster when they're on.

Any ideas?

Are your heaters submersible? I had a similar problems so I just put my heater in the over flow box just below the waters surface and haven't had any problems since
    Adam

No they're not I didn't think to check when I bought the Ebo-jagger, but it's clearly marked not to submerse below the water line. And I don't have any over flows.

I currently have the filter pumping directly across the top of the water for air exchange, I can lower it a lot, but I find I get a film on the top of the water pretty fast if I do (no skimmer yet.)

On the up side, the heater just turned off at 83.1*F If it keeps that up a 1.5*F temp swing isn't too bad. I'll watch it in it's new spot & see what happens.

Cheers!

OK try this.... turn off the heaters completely and wait for the tank to get to the temp you want it at and then turn the heater up ALL the way to the highest setting. Then SLOWLY and SMOOTHLY turn it down until it just goes off. PAY NO ATTENTION to the marks on the dial. Check in a few days how it is doing. If that dose not work test its accuracy in a standing bottle of water with a thermometer. It could be defective.

I tried that before moving the Ebo-Jagger. The tank was just under 84F this AM before I left for the office.

The tank without the filter running is standing water & both heaters are accurate without water flow.

I'm also no longer running my fan 7/24 to see if that stablizes the temp a bit. It's now on the same circut as the MH light, I was getting an insane amount of evap with the fan running all the time.

If I can unchain myself from this desk, I'll check the temp over lunch.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast