Thread: Which tank?

Which tank?

I am setting up my first saltwater setup, I have 2 tanks.

48x12x24
    48x18x18

Can anybody tell me any advantages, disadvantages to either tank. As I am not sure which tank to use.

Any help appreciated

I think IMHO that the 48x18x18 would be the best so that your lighting would have it's maximum effect on corals.
    Stephen

Welcome!

The 48X18X18 is slightly bigger (67G vs 60G), has a larger surface area (which faciliates oxygen exchange) and has a greater front-back depth which will open uip greater opportunities for aquascaping. The 18" one will also be easier to light since light penetrates 18" of water better than 24".

The 24" high one will give you more vertical depth (important if you plan a deep sand bed).

I'd incline to using the 48X18X18 tank. But, that's just MHO
    Nick

I've got to work on making my reply's more eloquent. LOL
    Stephen

I'm just long-winded :-) Why use 20 words to say something when you can use 60 instead?
    Nick

Welcome! I think you'll find a nice home here, people are great and everyone is genuinely happy to help regardless of experience.

I agree with Both Nickb and Scuba Steve. I've always been told that taller requires more lighting which if your just starting can make a huge difference in startup costs. I'd personally go with the 48x18x18 which happens to be the dimensions of my tank. I think if you look around you'll find that most tanks stay relatively shallow in relation to their width and length.

Troy
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

i have my tank 36x12x18 and i find it hard to make an aquascape... 18 will be much easier!!!
    i wont put a DSB as all the thing goes in it and on long term period, could make your nitrate goes high... and from my opinion, a small surface of sand is much more esthetic!
    Iwould definitely go with the 48x18x18
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI