Thread: hang on fuge

hang on fuge

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with a hang on fuge. I am considering adding on to my tank as now I want to start adding more inverts and corals and feel that they would greatly benefit from the fuge addition. Limited to the hang on type due to space and that as the tank is established now I dont want to disturb it to drill it for the fuge. Any advice of what to do and/or what not to do is greatly appreciated.

I have a small 65 gallons tank. I use an Aquaclear500 ( 59$ around here ) hang on as a fuge. I put live rock rubble in it. It’s full of pods coming out with the waterfall. Cheap and simple. If you want a larger fuge, or if you want macros in there, that’s another thing.

I have used the CPR hang-on fuge on my 72 bowfront - AND THAT WAS MY ONLY FILTRATION for the whole tank. its around $100 US - a little more than the aquaclear method, but much more effective IMO.
    I just filled it with Live Sand, Live Rock, and Chaetomorpha and had a light on it 24/7.
    Albert
    My Photos

I agree with Alpha….the CPR is probably more effective.

But how much space does it take? How wide? How long? Is the pump included in the price Alpha stated? Has anyone using hte CPR have problems with flooding?

The Aquaclear is small, the pump is included, and the dangers of flooding are very low.

But if you have the space , are willing to pay more, and want to harvest macros in there ( why not do that in your sump? ), I agree the CPR is a better choice and more effective.

firstly is ALRHA not ALPHA.
    next, i never has a flood from it, the siphon is formed once the water rises above the tube.
    pump is included.
    there are 3 sizes, i think 12", 18", 24"
    i dont think he has a sump as he does not want to drill his tank at this point.
    personally, i now use my sump as my fuge.
    Albert
    My Photos

Or order one from Acrylic City , you can get a nice one from harley for $40 bucks maybe a bit more for a proper hang on , you would still need a small pump. Give him a PM and he'll give you a price.
    Stephen

Thanks guys. I was looking at a complete cpr kit online. I'm not sure if it was a 12" or an 18" one but light, pump and fuge case (obviously) were included for around 160 or 180 cdn. I didn't think this was a bad deal. Also just how benefitial is this miricale mud stuff. And how much do you need.

" firstly is ALRHA not ALPHA."

Sorry....no harm intended.

And I was not arguing with you. I was not suggesting he would be flooded if he bought it. I was just asking the question. I once thought of buying the CPR before I decided to add a sump. At the time, I read on RC some people had flooding problems. Maybe they changed the design or I got confused with someting else.

I also did not know he had no sump.

I just suggested another possible option, that's all.