Thread: Cloudy new tank

Unhappy Cloudy new tank

I am BRAND NEW to having fish.I have a 3 week old 30 gal salt tank and now I just started a 80 gal salt tank.The 80 gal got set upi yesterday andtoday it is still very cloudy.Everything seems to be working proper pumps,skimmer,etc but why is it still so cloudy?? Normal or problem??

Welcome to the board papacool

[welcome2]

This is not uncommon. Give it a few days to settle... Maybe longer if you stirred up a lot of sand dust.
    Rob

Welcome aboard!

What kind of sand did you use? If it's very fine it can take several days to clear. I set up my newest tank with sugar fine CaribSea sand and it was at least four days before the water was mostly clear, about a week before it was crystal clear.

As the tank ages the sand doesn't cause as much clouding with disturbance. It gets a bacteria coating which helps keep it down.

Write back and tell us more about your tanks - the equipment used and critters you're planning to keep.
    Susan

Well I am not exactly sure which tank will be which.I want an agressive tank and a docile tank.I love the live rock thing ! That is what got me hooked ! I have 75 pounds of rock coming in a couple days then another 75 maybe next week.I want some of everything a Lionfish for sure puffer fish I would like clams but heard that they are a lot of work.Right now I need to find out a maintenance routine for each type so I can learn what can go together and what can't.I am taking pics so will post soon.
    That sounds a little fishy to me ! :canadian:

p.s. The sand I used was not the really fine stuff it was the medium sizedCaribsea Arag-Alive.:canadian:
    That sounds a little fishy to me ! :canadian:

Did you rinse it, because even the larger particle size ones you need to. Even if you do that, it will take a couple days at least to clear up. Mine has been going for 5 days now (moved from a 50g to a 120g) and I still have a little cloudyness.
    -Dazz

PowerHead 802 with fast filter for couple of hours will clean your tank...I did that when I set up my tank and add salt...

took only 4 hours to become crystal clear:dance: