Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purple Tang?

Purple Tang?

I have a 46 gal. bowfront. (aqua c skimmer, aquaclear 500, Aquaclear 901 powerhead, 30 lbs. live rock) It has been up for two months and all is fine. I have a comon clown, maroon clown, small gobi, mimic tang.
    Can I get a Purple Tang as my show piece?

No. Requires a much larger tank then a 3 foot, 46 gallon.
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

Any suggestions? Should I junt stick with dwarf angle?

i mean JUST stick

It depends if you plan on having any corals. Some dwarf angels are reef safe and others are not. I had a dwarf flame angel that picked at the corals. Others have had them though without any problems. Best thing would be to read up on the dwarf angels, pick a few that you like ,then find someone who has kept them. Jeeves

I suspect you're going to have trouble down the road with those two clownfish. Maroons get big and nasty and I doubt an adult one will tollerate a "common" clown (you mean an ocellaris or false percula right?). I'd really recommend just sticking with one species of clownfish.

I agree with the others that the tank is too small for a purple tang. A dwarf angel would do well or, if you don't want to take a chance on getting a coral nipper, perhaps a fairy wrasse would be a better choice. Some of them are quite spectacular and would make an ideal showpiece fish in a tank your size. They are active and visible but the nicer ones are a bit expensive.

Check this guy out:
    http://www.themarinecenter.com/wrasselaboutei.htm
    I'd have one if I could find one.

I did have one of these (lost him to the hurricane last year) and he was a real attention getter when people came over:
    http://www.themarinecenter.com/wrassesolorensis.htm

Ivan (IJO) here at Aquaria Canada can often find these fish, check with him if you're interested.
    Susan

if the clwons are about the same size as an adult, is there any problem? Like a ocellaris and a true percula together...

the wrasse on the first link is absolutely beautiful Susan!
    Havent seen any of thoses wrasse... must be really expensive!
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

There's no way an ocellaris and a maroon would be the same the same size. Maroons get huge, turn brownish and get very mean.
    Susan

i wasnt talking about a maroon but a true percula and a false one. could they keep along together?
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Oh sorry, I missed that. I haven't tried it but I suspect a perc and an ocellaris would be ok.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast