Thread: wetdry removal

wetdry removal

HI!
    In my current setup I have a wetdry filter in place, planning on removing bio balls and filter and adding protien skimmer. Any down falls i should expect? Changes in the tank?? Also looking at using one of Harveys protien skimmers the Acs620, does anyone have this in use?? How does it work? Not doubting Harveys work just looking for feed back.

Jason

well, you will want to do it gradually. I would add the skimmer first, then over the course of a week or 2, remove the bio balls. This way there will not be a sharp change in water chemestry.
    -Dazz

Sorry to hijack ur thread, but why would you remove the filter and bio balls to add a protein skimmer?

No problem, ya i'm adding a protein skimmer, most people are saying the bio balls are nitrate makers. I would like a nice reef tank so were going to try it this way.
    Jason

Bio ball type filtration is good in a fish-only type tank where you have a large bioload. The bioballs help to breakdown the harmful ammonia into less harmful nitrates. However, in a reef the bioload isn't as high and the bioballs tend to keep the nitrates higher than acceptable for the corals and inverts. Protein skimmers are important in either setup.

That's my understanding anyway
    Susan

Help or suggestions anyone? i have 2 clowns, 4 chromies,1 coral beauty, 1 sailfin, 1 hipo tang.1 scooter, 30 snails, 45 hermit, 1 brittlestar, 2 cleaner shrimp and some soft corals mushrooms. running 2 10k and 2 03 antic 440w, 10 led moon lights custom made. All i want is a few more soft corals. Should i leave the bio balls and just add the protien skimmer or remove the bio balls and add just the skimmer.

The tank right now:
    temp: 80
    salt: 1.021
    ph: 8.2
    amm: 0
    nitrite: 0
    nitrate: 0
    kh: 9.6
    alk: 3.43
    ca: 450

anything would be great
    Jason

I say get rid of the bioballs- you don't need'em- really!!! And definetly do the skimmer. The bioballs are doing you no added good and only increasing the possability of unnecessarily raising your nitrates.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Okay, but will there any great change i should worry about? Should i do it in steps or just remove it and start skimming?
    Jason

to be safe you could do it in steps- maybe 1/4 of the bioballs every 3 weeks or so...that is pretty conservative, but better safe than sorry..
    If you have the skimmer already, put it on, the skimmer and bioballs have no real interrelation so put the skimmer on asap- the tank will benefit from it.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

The skimmer will be shipped out wednesday. I ordered one from Harvey at acryliccity.
    Jason