Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

True and False Percula's

Can anyone tell me what the main difference is between these two fish aside from the price ? They look pretty much identical... is one hardier or get bigger than the other ?

just curious... read a few books but nothing seems to compare the two...

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    They are actually 2 different fish, with subtle but different colouring...

Amphiprion ocellaris (FALSE Percula Clownfish) are more orange.

Amphiprion percula (TRUE Percula Clownfish) have distinct darker and thicker black markings as adults.

It's hard to tell them apart when they are young however.
    Hope that helps.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Oh... almost forgot...

False Percula are said to get bigger (3.5") and are said to be hardier than the True Percula.

True Percula are said to grow to 3.1".

There are accounts of them living to 20years... There's actually an account on RC of one living to 22 years old!!

Vince,
    Your little guy is getting homesick!!!

ijo
    tang_man... correct me if I'm wrong.. but I thought the true perc had the brighter orange and the false was more faded...

IJO

Hey Greg...

I'll take him home this week-end, all depending on how busy I am with work....

IJO,
    I just double checked. As far as I know, I'm correct. I checked online, and in my S.Micheals book...

The pictures above pretty much give you the physical differences between the two species (which aren't much). My understanding as to why Percs cost more, is that it takes breeders longer to get these guys ready to sell, because they take longer to get thier "bars" or colouration, therefore they must be raised longer in the breeder tanks.

Another difference is their addaptaion to different species of anemones. From what I have read, Percs are much more pertiuclar about which species of anemone they will take to because the have only a couple of natural hosts in the wild. Ocsellaris are a little better, but neither are as easy to pair with an anemone as say a Tomatoe, or a Clarke's.

ijo
    hrrmm ok ... its odd that different references would contradict each other.

Liveaquaria
    The Ocellaris Clownfish is often confused with the Percula Clownfish. Unless you are experienced with both fish, they are difficult to tell apart. The True Percula is a very bright orange, whereas, the Ocellaris tends to be more drably colored. The Percula Clownfish also has a thicker black outline to its white body stripes.

I couldn't find another site where they talked about the color... It seems like the brighter color has little to no difference... and more emphasis is on the number of dorsal spins and the black bars

Aquarium Hobbyist
    Based on some research i've done for a paper while in university, apparentley the only difference is in the nnumber of fin spines. The true percula has 7 and the ocellaris( false perc) has 6.

brinkster.com/seafan
    A: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clownfish) is often called False Percula Clownfish because their physical similarity to Amphiprion percula (Percula Clownfish). There is little physical difference between them. A.ocellaris have 11 dorsal spines while A.percula have 9 or 10, and A.ocellaris have 17 pectoral rays while A.percula have 16, but even this only objective criteria is not always true, as individuals may be different. And this is not a practical way to tell the difference if you need to pick out one or the other at your LFS, as fish don't stay still for you to count their spines! Usually A.percula cost twice or more than A.ocellaris, but LFS could misidentify them. If you are really interested in the identification of your fish at home, you may take some close-up photo shots and count them on the pictures later.

RAG
    True Perc
    Diagnosis: Dorsal spines (total): 9-10; Dorsal soft rays (total): 14-17; Anal spines: 2-2; Anal soft rays: 11-13. Overall orange with three black-bordered vertical white bands. The fins also orange with black edges.

False
    Diagnosis: Dorsal spines (total): 10-11; Dorsal soft rays (total): 13-17; Anal spines: 2-2; Anal soft rays: 11-13. Caudal fin rounded.

I guess the black bars and the number of spines is the only way to be sure if you have a true or false perc... I havent counted my true percs spins but they are extremely bright orange.

IJO

too bad richard's not around, he'd probably know/help.
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

ijo
    True dat...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast