Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: refugium advice

refugium advice

I think I'm going to add a 18" cpr hang on fuge to my tank in the next month or so. Is there anything that I should be aware of before adding the fuge to the tank. Just wondering if any spikes or anything nasty like taht could occur. Trying to find info on this but it seems pretty sparse. Also how much miricale mud should I add or any other simular product.

I would say just use same sand from your tank and I haven't heard of any spikes when adding a fuge you are using the water out of your main tank everything should be the same.
    Stephen

As pointed out by Steve there should be no issues with this simple but beneficial upgrade.
    Rob

thanks for the advice guys. Greatly appreciated

ive been considering the same upgrade john.....

I just added a 30g fuge. With new water and sand I had a slight ammonia spike .5 mg/L, but nobody seemed to mind.

I added a hang-on refugium around Christmas time last year to my closed 55 gallon, and declare it a complete success. It has tradditionally seemed that over that past few years I would get occasional hair algae outbreaks...especially in the summer, and I've had nothing since adding the refugium.

Here is what I did and learned:

Keep the water flow through the refuguim very low.

I added about 4 inches of new sand to the bottom, and seeded it with another inch or so of top sand from the main tank. I also added small (pebble sized) pieces of live rock on top of the sand.

Lastly, I filled up the refugium with chaeto (sp?) macro algae, commonly referred to as "spaggetti algae". This stuff is awsome. Grows like a weed, never attaches to anything (therefore very easy to prune) and according to folklore, never goes sexual, asexual, whatever.

I also spent a few weeks trapping micro-fauna from my main tank...things like mysis shrimp, copopods, etc. by placing a drinking glass with live rock pebbles inside on the sand bed for a few days/weeks and then dumping the contents into the fuge (including the silt that accumulates on the bottom).

To me, the key to a great fuge is the macro algae to absorb the excess nutrients (and therefore prevent unwanted algae outbreaks in the main tank) and to provide space for the micro-critters to breed and provide plankton to the main tank.

Never had any change in tank chemical parameters.

My refugium today is absolutely teeming with life. Litterally a "bug farm".

Good luck, and good choice in adding a fuge.

what Todd said and ahhh hello! Todd! were ya been??

You should ask to Harley from Acrilic city to build you one, Jhonmorris and Atlantic. It will be a lot cheaper than to buy the one from CPR that are really expensive if I am not wrong!

plus he can build it to your exact specs..
    Derik...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast