Thread: Help !!!

Help !!!

This has just appeared on the bottom and it is spreading fast !!!
    Is it cyano or else ????
    Can it harm the fish
    How do I get rid of it ???
    It's almost black or very dark blue and hairy....
    Any advise is very welcome !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help !!!-imga1.jpg  

ijo
    Welcome to Aquaria Canada Pierre-Michel

It might be cyno but I havent had much experience with it. I have had an outbreak of hair algae. Here is what I did to control it.

Cause:
    High Phosphates / Nitrates, excess nutrients or a sign that your lights are due to be changed...

Control:
    -Pull it off by hand (temp solution)
    -Make sure no direct sunlight is hitting the tank
    -Run a skimmer
    -Replace old bulbs
    -Reduce lighting schedule
    -Make sure your not over feeding
    -Get yourself a cleanup crew (1-2 units per gallon)
    -Use an RO/DI unit
    -Water changes (temp solution)

The list is endless... the sollution to your problem is more than likely a combination of the above. I found a reduced light schedule and a good clean up crew helped my outbreak... snails and crabs do an awesome job at keeping your tank free of algae. They had things cleaned up in a matter of days.

Here is a link that might help you out.. Algae Control (its located on our old server... still in the process of moving overthing over)

IJO

Thanks for the input !
    When do you know that your lighting is due for a change ????
    Also whe you thaw your frozen shrimp they say not to put in the water they thawed in ??? How do you do that ?
    I'm brain picking but I need all the help I can get
    Thanks

ijo
    Time and tank stability is the factor I use... 12 months give or take a couple months.

If your bulbs are coming close to the 12 month mark... and you notice an alage outbreak about to happen or the color is not what it used to be... change your bulbs.

About your shrimp question... I think they mean large frozen shrimp where taking them out of the water is not a hard task.(use your hand) but if they mean frozen mysis or brine shrimp... I wouldn't worry about it... I usually add frozen mysis to my tank and only thaw when adding selcon or other food supplements.

IJO

Thanks again...
    About a skimmer ! Is it absolutely essential !
    I finally will recieve mine this week !
    I am running a Fluval cannister with carbon and Bio balls .... should I get rid of all that ?

ijo
    Some say yes.. I say a skimmer gives you that cushion to make mistakes. I have a tank with one and another without... its doable. You don't need one IMO.

You can use the fluval for more water flow.. but I would get rid of the bio balls and make sure you clean the fluval every month to make sure nitrates don't get to high.

IJO

Pierre,
    Hi.. remember me??!!!
    For the skimmer, I am one that advocates using one a real lot. Yes, some people have a tank with no skimmer, but this tank WILL eventually buildup nutrients and all other sorts of nasties. A skimmer should be an essential part of every system and a good one at that too. Not just any skimmer. IMO, lots of people end up running skimmerless only because if they have never used one yet, they think it is too expensive to justify what it does ( only because they haven't experienced the difference), or they had a crappy one that basically made no difference.
    As for that stuff on your sand. It looks like cyano, but I can't be sure from the pic. Can you get a good clear closeup? If it IS cyano, this is not an algae at all but a bacteria. This stuff will appear in a new tank on new sand only because the sand is still not alive and breaking down what's sitting on it as far as nutrients. Once the sand is matured ( alive) cyano usually will show up in areas with flow/circulation that is too low or in a tank that has excess nutrients built up. Are you using RO/DI water yet? I would recommend spending the extra couple of dollars ( really very minimal as fas as price difference) and get the DI part too. The food you use can greatly contribute to the cyano problem since the tank cannot handle the nutrients that are placed in the tank from food. Frozen food such as Formula 1 & 2 are really bad because they have gel binders mixed in the food ( this is why it stays in a neat little square even when thawed out) and these binders contribute an enormous amount of nutrients that are good ONLY to the bad nuisance algaes and cyano bacterias.
    Your lights should be checked regularly for the signs Ivan has mentioned and also a good habit to have is too check the ends of your flourescant bulbs. If they have darkened, then it might be a good idea to change them. The type of lighting you have and what you use as a ballast can greatly vary/affect the lifespan of your lights.
    As for your canister, I've already discussed this with you on RC soyou know my opinion about them. What I would recommend you do is remove everything in it and use it simply for adding more flow to your tank, and if you want, the only thing you might/should add in it is carbon. Canisters have very minimal use on a reef setup and are very good to use simply for about only this purpose.
    As for the sunlight hitting the tank..., this is an old myth, but take note that it will have a negative effect on a tank that is young and not stable/mature yet. Once the tank is running solid, the sunlight can actually have a positive effect on your corals. A reef tank might cycle in a matter of a couple of weeks, but it takes up to a year to stabilize and mature to the point of saying it is ready for lots of things.
    Have I forgotten anything???

Thanks for the input !
    I have purchased a skimmer Remora Pro ans will be installing during the week-end.
    I will then be removing all filtering from the cannister.
    As lighting is concerned I am using a MedZoo ocean sun with a ballast purchased at the store and it seems to be still ok ( just a 4 months old)
    I have removed all the cyano I could by hand and will probably be adding another flow pump to the 804 and the cannioste one so I think it should be enough !

Is it difficult to adjust a skimmer ?
    Thanks again