Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah, I was thinking the same... if that is the case i'll drop the chromis. IJO, in how big of a tank are those tangs ? Would a hippo or powder brown tang be way too big for a 77 gallon ? I do have very open rock work....

ijo
    I think they will do fine... mine is a 77 soon to be upgraded after the move.

I'm still debating on what to go with... I have a drilled 90 with starfire front sitting there... or I could go with a 120(48x24x24) but am thinking a 92 corner bow would be very kewl. Any thoughts?

IJO

Hendu,

One of the questions in your thread was "do I really need a protein skimmer?" In my opinion, I would say yes. When I first started this hobby, I went without a skimmer for about 6 months, and things were going great. Then, all of a sudden, I began to get bursts of algae blooms. I would do bi-weekly water changes, clean my filters, everything that I could think of to eliminate the algae. My LFS suggested that I purchase a protein skimmer, so I bought a small one, hooked it up, and withing days my algae problems were history. What a protein skimmer does is remove DOC's (disolved organic componds). These are left over particles from food, dead algae, and other organic matter that used to exist in your tank. Algae thrive on these DOC's that accumulate over time. You will find that a protein skimmer will make you water crystal clear (more clear than the Fluval). The colection cup on the skimmer will get full of greeninsh-brown water that you never would have thought was in your tank! Anyway, just my thoughts on protein skimmers. Good luck!

Tevrill, thanks for the advice. I guess I kinda new the answer to my question but wanted to see what kind of response I would get. That is the great thing about this forum, you can get free advice from expereinced hobbyists. I appreciate the wise words! Economically, where would you spend the money first - additional live rock (I only have 30lbs of high quality Fiji rock in my 55 gallon) or the skimmer. Obviuosly my goal over time is both - but if I had to choose one vs the other in the short term - what would your advice be? Thanks!

I'd get the skimmer first.

Hendu, your welcome! I agree with bristleworm... I would get the skimmer first before spending the cash on more live rock. The optimum amount of live rock would be 50-55 lbs, but the 30 lbs you have now is just fine for now, IMO. As far as the skimmer goes, it all depends on your set-up. Do you have a sump? If not, I would recommend a hang-on-the-back type of skimmer. These are normally a bit louder than the in-sump or inline skimmers, but they work great. I have a Prizm hang-on-the-back skimmer on my sump tank, and it works great. I've heard mixed reviews about the prizm's, but IMO they're awsome.

Thumbs up mechanical filters

I'd lose the fluval filters first. Unless you clean or change the filter media every other day, or don't run filter media at all, it is going to accumulate detrius and lead to nitrate problems. Your test kit might not register much nitrate at all, but this is due to the problematic algae taking up the nitrate so fast that your nitrate level will always read low.

I'd add more live rock to the tank now. I agree a protein skimmer will do wonders (I'll never live without one), but if you don't have one now and everything is fine, and you only have 30lbs of LR in a 55gal, live rock is your first priority. Live rock not only does biological filtration, it also provides a safe place for your fish to hide and claim territory, and provides natural food source for certain fish.

Plus, live rock is more interesting to look at than a protein skimmer
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

Re: mechanical filters

Originally posted by GoSUV

Plus, live rock is more interesting to look at than a protein skimmer
    That all depends... Some skimmers are works of art!!!
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Unhappy TANGS

I would lose the TANG idea unless ya plan to upgrade soon. I have 2 in my 90g but I'm upgrading to a larger tank. Most TANGS will out grow a 77g? fairly quick except for possible
    KOLE, SCOPAS and maybe a YELLOW if you keep the fish population down. Even YELLOWS grow to the size of a dinner plate!

I wanted to let you know I purchased a Prizim Hang On Skimmer. It seems to be working great - it has made the water considerably more clearer and has aided in more surface movement. I also purchased 10 more pounds of Live Rock - man is this hobby expensive! The fish I think I've landed on (to go with my two false percula's) are in order :

Royal Gramma
    Six Line Wrasse
    Dwarf Flame Angel

Any comments? Is this the best order to add them over time? Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast