Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this even possible?

I've done the tests twice now and I'm getting a dKH of 10 and a Ca of 580. Is that much calcium even possible without causing a snow storm in my tank?

I admit that it's a crappy (free) Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test, but I thought I'd try it out until stock arrives (everyone in town is out of test kits it seems, unless I want an Alk kit that reads Low, Medium, and High.)

I don't really have much to consume the calcuim & alk yet, 1 tiny acro frag, a candy cane, and my rocks are pinking up, and I have a full bag of araginite as a sand bed. (15lbs If I remeber right, 2" anyway)

I've never dosed anything, but I do weekly 10% changes.

So do I throw out the test kit, or do I just have nothing to consume the calcium yet?

Cheers!

What salt brand are you using?
    Nick

Oceanic Natural Sea Salt mix. A $5 bag last me over a month mixed to 1.024.
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I have heard that Oceanic has very hight calcium, Alk, and mag levels.

Where did you find that salt? I want to try it on my SPS system that I am setting up.

I have heard that some people mix half instant ocean and half oceanic to lower the levels. I'm not sure if I would advise that, But I have heard of people doing it. read this link http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=445941

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Where did you hear that? I've been having a heck of a time finding out anything about it.

I arbitrily picked it up because it was the only 1.5lb bag around & I needed to start someplace. Since 1.5lbs lasts for 6+ weeks on my nano, I haven't rushed out to look at other brands.

Next time I mix for a partial I'll test the mix at 1.024 & see where I'm starting. I usually do partials on Thursday, so unless things get out of hand tomorrow I should know.

Oh, I bought it a Petsmart.

Cheers!

EDIT: Yeah okay I'm reading the link you provided. It's late

There have been several threads over on RC about Oceanic salt. It has a very high calcium level when mixed (some people were finding levels over 600).
    Nick

Wow. I thought 580 was about where calcuim started coating everything. I didn't think you could get to 600.

Is this level a problem or am I good to start adding some acros & other calcium eating coral?

Cheers!

Nick

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Krugar...
    Are you using Aquarium Pharm tests for both Alk and Ca?
    I don't trust that brand of test kit for measuring alk and Ca. I never got real readings. My experience was like yours. 580-600... I then tested with Salifert, and found that in actuality my calcium level was ~300.

I'd wait to receive your Salifert test kits before jumping the gun and doing something.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Yeah it's entirely possible, I haven't finished reading the threads posted but I got a reply from Randy Holmes-Farley on RC:

Oceanic salt mix normally runs very high in calcium, so that is why it is high. Consequently, I don't think there is any cause for concern.
    It also seems that Oceanic starts around 600 so since that's what I'm putting in & coraline algae is likely my biggest drain 580 may not be unreasonable.

I fully admit I got what I paid for on these kits. I had change left over after blowing my frequent flier $25 at Aquarium services on them. (Had to get Discus food yesterday)

Even if they're accurate, they're not very precise. CA is measured in increments of 20 and ALK is 1dKH. The ALK isn't bad, but for all I know my CA is 561 and the kit reports the next level of 580. That high it doesn't make any differnece but I'd like to know if my CA was 381 or 400 should it ever get that low.

I will get real test kits when they finally come in. I thought about getting the CA from Ivan & an ALK kit from anyone, but everyone's out of stock & has no idea when the next ones will arrive.

My choices were Red Sea - Low, Med, and High. Might as well use a magic 8 ball IMHO.

Test strips which I think were a magic 8 ball. Yes, no, maybe & ask again later I believe were the codes.

This (admittedly crappy) pair of kits, or wait and do nothing.

I'll have to read the rest of the articles, but from what I've seen so far if my dKH is really around 10, then there's not a lot too do. I could raise it to 11, but then the water would support more CA which sounds counter productive to me.

I think the best course would be to chill & start looking for small inexpensive frags to use some of the CA before my dsb turns into concrete.

Most of what I'm hearing is "no cause for alarm, but get something to "eat" the CA"

Does that sound accurate?

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast