Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No growth

No growth

I have had my tank up a good 6 months and Im not finding any growth on any of my rocks except brown hair. (its figi)
    Do you think I got a bad batch or could my lighting be all wrong? Silly me cant even remember what lighting I even put in there. I think I need to keep a journal. Does anyone here keep one on your tanks!
    Also do you ever pick up your rocks and shake the dirt off (in another bucket of couse) to clean them every now and then, I was also told you have to pick them up and clean the sand under them. This didnt seem right, for you would mess everything up. Do you think the guy I was talking to was full of himself?
    It wasn't in here thank god lol

I assume you're asking about coraline algae growing on the rocks?

If you don't recall what the lights are that's the first thing I'd suspect. The cost of good lighting is painful enough that most people will remeber what they exchanged their arm and / or leg for.

But coraline growth depends on what your water's like too and what you might have eating it. Aside from urchins I think I read that red legged hermits will stip off softer coraline as well.

It also doesn't grow very well if there's another type of algae already there, you need to control the hair algea, diatoms, & cyano for the coraline to grow in.

If you're looking for hitchikers, I'd say the prospects are grim if you haven't found any after 6 months.

As to the journal, I kept one for about 6 weeks then I realized I was writing the same things over & over again. Now I only update it when I get new things. i.e. new coral, fish, etc. or if something wierd happens.

For cleaning the rocks, that also could be why only hair algae is growing. A turkey baster is good to "dust" them off from time to time, but I've never heard of cleaning under the rocks before.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I'm not sure what you are expecting to grow on your rock.

Live rock is "live" because of the micro-fauna that inhabits it. But it is still just a piece of rock. If your tank parameters are stable, and your main source of filtration is your live rock, then it would be unlikely that you have "bad rock".

Now, growing hair algae all over your rock isn't that surprising for a 6 month old tank, and as long as it is dominating the surface of your rock, you won't get good coraline algae growth (which is what you want) and it will be somewhat unsightly.

If set up properly you should never have to clean your sand bed, nor remove your rocks and scrub them in a pail. I'd really only recommend it for extreme hair or bryopsis algae outbreaks. A better solution is to get your excess nutrients under control by maintaining a a proper clean-up crew (which will help control the actual algae as well), keep your skimmer clean and efficient, and consider a refugium with macro algae.

Yep, I keep a journal have now for the past 2 years....its a great resource

Had some tubo snalis and the dumb things kept going to my power head. Screened them off but it didnt work. Down to 2 lol poor guys
    I agree its good to keep a journal just so you know what new things are in there, incase they vanish or forget what the heck your running, like me.

So based on your last post, are we to understand that for a 50 gallon tank you have as a clean-up crew only two Turbo Snails?

yep Im bad but I dont have any coral or anything in fact Im thinking of taking it all down and starting over just have alot of rock and two clown fish. Thinking of making it coral right now its not very interesting. also have sand and want to go with crushed coral instead. Hate the sand.

Why do you hate the sand? Is it because it appears "dirty"?

Find that with sand the tank gets dirter faster then with coral

I'm beginning to get the picture here, and the type of substrate isn't your problem. Nor, will tearing down your tank and re-staring solve your problems either. You have no balance in your tank, and this is why you have hair algae on your rocks and dirty sand.

Do you have a Protien Skimmer on your tank? If yes, is it producing a decent amount of skimmate each week?

You need a clean up crew that consists of more than just two turbo snails. Check out this recent thread and read the post from Flame Angel regarding the clean-up crew list she was/is going to add to a 300 gallon tank. http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...&threadid=4634

I have a 55 gallon, and have:

roughly 15 Turbo snails
    roughly 10 Astrea snails
    roughly 20 various species of hermit crabs
    At least 2 Tiger Tail cucumbers (possibly three now as one may have split). These keep the sand spotless.
    1 Black Brittle Starfish
    3 Pepermint shrimp
    1 Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
    1 Tuxedo Urchin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast