Too soon for a coral?

My tank will be about a month old this weekend. The liverock cured and has been stable for 2 weeks. Last weekend I added three small chromis, a dozen astrea snails and a few blue legged hermits.

My parameters, as of last night were:

PH: 8.2,
    Salinity 1.025
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates 10

There has been no spike in either the ammonia or nitrites and the nitrates have actually dropped from 20 last weekend when I added the livestock.

My question: Is it too soon to add a coral? I realize it depends on the type of coral. I would eventually like to go for SPS but I believe it is too soon for most. I would also consider LPS because they are nice. I heard that softies are easier to keep than stonies, but I am concerned about adding softies as I understand that they can be toxic to stonies; or should I not concern myself with this at this time. Your suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ward

Candy Cane was suggested to me as a good tough stater coral. I've never managed to get my nitrates under 10 & I have one in my tank.

You can feed a candy cane too if you want, but you don't have to.

I just added some macro to the tank yesterday, hopefully I'll finally get under 10 lol.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Going slow and being patient is almost always the best choice. If you just added a buch of stuff last weekend, I'd wait a minimum 2 weeks to add anything else, since you need to give your tank time to adjust to the change in bioload.

You have the lighting to add pretty much anything you want coral wise, but keep in mind that once you start adding corals, you will also have to keep track of the calcium levels in your tank and supplement them.

A statement like "soft corals are toxic to stoney corals", and "soft corals are easier to keep than stoney corals", are far too simplistic. Some corals can be toxic to others, especially if they are placed very close together, and certainly some corals are much easier to keep than others.

Try to plan ahead by researching the different types of corals, what you would like to keep in the future, and start with the easiest, most hardy.

Thanks Zoo. I am afraid that I may be rushing things. I just giot the book Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman and started reading it. (Had to look at all the pictures first )

There are so many nice corals. I will spend more time with my head in the book and get an idea of where I want to go.
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

That book is a great start. Read it, and make a list of stuff you think you would like to keep, and post back. People will reply with specifacs as to how hard it is to keep, and whether it will conflict with other stuff.