Thread: Rock question

Mel

Rock question

I have a few nice pieces of very porous rock that's a reddish brown in colour and designed for aquariums. I'm guessing it's lava rock but I'm not sure. It was in an Oscar tank previously and I'm wondering if it would be ok in my marine tank (different aquarium) with the live rock I have. I don't know the history of this tank but I'm afraid the previous owner used a copper treatment for Ich. He said he never used copper, but I did find a bottle of Ich treatment that contained copper in the pile of stuff he gave me. Assuming there was copper in the tank with the rock, can I somehow treat it? I have seen some tap water treatment solutions that say they neutralize/eliminate copper, but is that enough? How adversly can copper affect inverts in trace amounts? Can I test for copper?

Thanks folks!

Lava rock is very porous and if meds were used you would have to boil them out of it. As a rule only some lava rocks are good in your salt tank because it depends on where it came from and from where in the lava flow it was recovered. Lava rock can be full of stuff you don't want in your setup. I would skip it unless its history can be confirmed.
    Rob

Cool

how reddish brown is it? could it be TUFA rock which is mostlt a light tan color. lava rock looks more like a chunk of porous coal [but dark red in most case] were as TUFA looks almost like?? it has wood pieces in it or length wise designs. hard to explain. TUFA is okay to use and yes, boil it for sure.

Mel
    It's a very deep brown with a reddish tinge. It's so porous and soft that I can scratch little bits of it off if I try hard with my fingernail. I left my USB cable at the office otherwise I'd have taken a pic. I wanted to use the stuff tomorrow as I move the tank to my place, but I'll probably not chance it until I feel more confident about it being marine safe. Maybe I'll seed it later on and drop it in the sump.

Thanks for the input! I'll likely have a few more questions tonight and tomorrow as this aquarium move progresses. I have prepared 40-50 gallons of RO/DI water and I'll be mixing the salt in it this evening. Hopefully I can move another 50 gallons from the original setup to start he tank off right. Mr. Rubbermaid will be my friend for a while!