Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanks zookeeper

Thanks for the advise zooman. I got a clean up crew like you said. so well see how it goes I finally found a cool store. One that really knows whats up not one that only sells fish to take home and kill.
    I got

3 Turbors
    6 Hermits
    2 Fire Shrimp
    1 Tux Urchin
    Thats really pretty by the way
    1 sand sifting sea star
    1 Tiger tail cucmber
    At least I think thats what he is not sure yet
    But hes a cucmber lol

But anyway thanks again Ill leave the sand for now and see how it goes! Wish me luck that I dont kill anything. That would really suck
    :

Ps Dose anyone know of a link for getting to know my new urchin and cucmber??
    Been looking but cant find the ones I have
    Thanks

Cool. I thought my new urchin was a tuxedo, turns out he's a pincushion
    Susan

Ty apoon thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I finally have a pick of my tank ill see if iI can get it up soon.
    And yes Angle my is a pincushion too i guess its also named tux

PS do they poop
    I see alot of long brown things, but I think its from my cucmber!
    LOL

Linda:

"3 Turbors
    6 Hermits
    2 Fire Shrimp
    1 Tux Urchin
    1 sand sifting sea star
    1 Tiger tail cucmber"

This is a great start.

You will want to wait a couple of weeks, and then add more snails and hermits. Your goal here should be 1 per gallon.

The Fire shriimp are great scavengers, which indrectly keeps the nutrient level in your tank down, and therefore controls algae. Good idea getting two, as you will see them out more.

The urchin in apoon's link (Mespilia globulus) is the urchin I keep and the urchin I was recommending.

Sand sifting stars are controversial. I recommended a black brittle star, because they (like the shrimp) are scavengers. A sand sifting star eats microbes and fauna in the sand bed and is considered by many to be preditory towards keeping a "deep sand bed". So, if you bought it thinking that it would clean up your gungy sand, you will probably be disappointed. If you are trying to keep a true DSB, you will probably want to return this guy.

The Tiger-tail Cucumber is light brown, and has white spikey spots on it. I had a client tell me once that mine looks like those big pretzles that you get a sporting event. The link that apoon posted is the correct animal, but the picture IMO is crappy. Hopefully you ended up with a sand-sifting cucumber of some species (there are few), since that was my point in recommending this (as opposed to a filter-feeding cucumber). These will definately help make your sand sparkling white.

The trouble now is that I dont think I have enough food to go around. I dont have much algae in my tank. I did move the rocks closer together to stop some of the air flow to help creat some. Hope it works. And yes that sounds like my cucmber. I dont think hes sand sifting for he stays mostly on the glass or rocks. Not to mention hes pretty ugly. lol
    The rest is right on the mark!
    Thanks for the advice Ill let you know how things go

You do not need to have visible algae to support any of these creatures. In fact, only the snails and urchin acutally eat it. The crabs, and shrimp scavenge, and the cucumber sifts through the sand. Visible algae typically means you have way more food than is required.

To the best of my recollection, I've never seen my tiger-tails on the rocks or the class.

Hey Zookeeper,

Don't hermits eat algae in addition to scavenging? I also thought some hermits eat coraline algae (or at least rip it off the rock)

Am I misremembering?
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast